Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Took off the cover and this is what I found...(plus a lube Q)

1. Back To Top    #1

Took off the cover and this is what I found...(plus a lube Q)

Ok my pool temp is about 65 right now so we have a ways to go. But so far so good!

My question: for lubricating O rings on the pump and filter would Dupont Teflon lubricant work?
    DuPont™ Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant with Teflon® Fluoropolymer . It looks like it will but I just want to avoid any fatal errors here. I am just starting to hook things up so I am almost certain I will run into more questions.
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Took off the cover and this is what I found...(plus a lube Q)

Is it a spray?

It "should" be ok being teflon (same as magic lube which is what I use) but i don't know about a spray application.

I know magic lube works well.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Took off the cover and this is what I found...(plus a lube Q)

I only use 100% pure silicone lube on rubber o-rings. For the most part these are non-moving seals and don't need a high performance lubricant. Think of it more as a conforming sealant and not as a lubricant. Silicone is a much better choice.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything past the gleaming shine of that water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use Boss Products #820 Pure silicone lubricant.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linzjane88 View Post

Ok my pool temp is about 65 right now so we have a ways to go. But so far so good!.
    Lucky. Mine looked like a toilet stall in an Eastern European bus station.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

My local HD didn't have any of the Magic Lube that seems to be pretty popular. I might try Lowes or just the plain silicone. Do I need to remove all the old thread sealant and replace with new before connecting back together? I assume yes to that.
    Can't wait to get filtering!

I cut my solar cover into quarters today. We tried half last year and it was still to big to handle , even difficult with two people. Hopefully this way it will get some more use. I SCRUBBED that thing with bleach water today. Took me two hours. Apparently a frog made its home in it while it was rolled up and stored under the deck. I can't unsmell that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Lucky. Mine looked like a toilet stall in an Eastern European bus station.

What little water that was left on the top of the cover sure smelled like one. I underestimated how much all those small puddle put together on the cover added up to. Luckily I had my dd8 helping me. I was so afraid I was going to dump that goop in my pool! I ended up getting the cover almost off then couldn't lift off that last bit... Had to use the kids beach pale to take dump about 10 buckets. My shower was very well deserved today.
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

8. Back To Top    #8

Your water looks awesome!!
    22,000 gal 16x34, IG, vinyl (7/14)
    DE Hayward Perflex extended cycle
    Hayward Super Pump
    Aquacal heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

First test of the season!... I did add 128 Oz of bleach yesterday ... There was a large frog swimming in the pool and after scooping him out I was really grossed out and made the executive decision to just dump a jug in blindly to counteract the frog cooties STAT.
    FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    CH 250
    TA 260
    CYA <20

I SHOULD have just bought the CYA from Lowes today but I didn't like their price. I was actually just amazed to find any pool stuff (then irritated by their prices) . Washington isn't exactly a jackpot for pool supplies.

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, not bad levels. But you will need stabilizer, so keep that in mind. Start with a CYA target of 30 ppm for now. FC is a little high, but anywhere between 4-6 is good. pH could be slightly higher I the mid 7s, but again, not bad. A little aeration can raise that for free. Or some borax. But you're very close all-round. Nice work. Just some minor tweaking and you'll be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!