Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

If you didn't empty the filter of all the sand, the existing weight of the sand should have keep downward pressure on the vertical (stovepipe) pipe that comes-up from the laterals at the bottom. You do want to be careful when aligning the top assembly/multiport valve to ensure they align. I wouldn't think you would want to push downward too hard because you don't want to break any of the lateral pipes down below. IN case it helps, here as some manual quotes from that section of assembly:
6. Be sure top of filter is free of any sand or debris and valve o-ring is in place on valve body. Install valve so that the port locations are in the desired final position. See Figure 3.
7. Insure that the valve is firmly pushed into the top of the tank and that the flange of the tank and the flange of the valve are contacting each other. See Figure 4.
8. The plastic clamp can now be installed. Place the clamp half over the valve flange and the tank flange as shown in Figure 4. Insert the valve screws and nuts into the clamp half making sure that the nuts are located in the special hexagonal retainer slots on the clamps. See Figure 5.

It looks like a small amount of firm pressure is required to keep the assembly down on the top of the filter, just long enough for you to slip the two safety flanges in place and tighten them. Make sure you add a little silicone lobe (i.e. Magic Lube) to the O-Ring - never use petroleum jelly though. That might help. Then you might need to twist and turn as you go to help it seat down.

No WD-40! It must be silicone or Teflon based. None of the typical household stuff we use on doors, our body, etc (i.e. Vaseline, WD-40, 3-in-One Oil). None of those. If you don't have any, your local pool or hardware store will have some.

After getting a new o-ring and some magic lube and a little more "elbow grease" it slipped right in there. It was quite a day and my filter was off nearly 24 hours. Finally turned it back on around 5pm last night. Test kit should be here today and will update this site with a recent pic and the infamous numbers. Hope this kit isn't too hard to figure out as nothing else has went smoothly thus far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple questions as I sit awake at 3am.....I noticed in another thread someone said to vacuum to waste. I just recently learned how to vacuum and i did it twice but just kept filter on. When should I vacuum to waste? I've always thought my filter was loud, but really it is the filter pump I believe. I am going to tighten all the bolts tomorow as some of it is rattling, but any other advice?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Test kit should be here in next 1-2 hours when mail comes. I'm reading up on it now. Also, I will post a pic soon but after deep cleaning filter and bringing the sand in it to appropriate level my pool looks a couple shades lights (3 rounds of vacuuming in there also) and filter sounds a lot better also!

Stay tuned and thanks again to all for your help!

Mine was too. To verify my test I took a couple pellets of stabilizer (aka CYA) and dissolved it into my test mixture. I then rechecked and I had cloudy water so I knew I was at 0 for sure. Just figured it was too critical to make sure before I started adding CYA into the pool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Results! Alright. Here's what I want you to do (with pump running):
1 - Lower pH to about 7.2-7.5 with muriatic acid. Do that first.
2 - Add regular bleach and go for an FC target of 10 PPM; Test again in 10 minutes! If the FC is 5-10 after 10 minutes, then go ahead and do item #3 below. If your FC disappeared to almost nothing, you have ammonia and need to keep adding bleach and testing EVERY 10 min until it holds to 5ppm or more after 10 minutes.
3 - After confirming there is no ammonia as noted in item 2 above, add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30 ppm
4 - Increase FC to 12 ppm and perform everything according to the SLAM page (link below).

From here on, until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, focus on FC primarily for the first 2-3 days, then you can start checking CC, and maybe confirm CYA in about 3-4 days.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.