Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

So this is my second year of being a homeowner with a saltwater pool (17,000 gallons). Last year had it's own challenges with a very wet spring and finding out I didn't have proper drainage which caused a floating pool liner...coupled with a unreliable pool service. Now this year I have a new pool guy and I'm on day 6 after he opened it and while it's lighter--it is still very green--see pic.

Here's what has been done thus far:

Day 1: Pool opened by a "professional" with a couple pounds of shock and a treatment of algacide added. Was told PH levels and salt were in line. Turned on filter.
    Day 2, 3, 4: Filter continued to run 24/7
    Day 5: Had water tested at local pool store and advised to add two shock packs, 28 ounces of Algacide, and two 40lb bags of salt. Also brushed pool during this.
    Day 6: Brushed pool and added another shock pack.

Filter has been running constantly and shallow end is in slightly better shape than deep end (can't see bottom at all on deep end).

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

Are you willing to take over the care of you pool? THAT is the best way! It is faster and cheaper! Most of the stuff can be bought at Target or Walmart! Neat huh???

Here is TFP we can teach you how to do it. The number one thing you will need is a good test kit (see link in my signature below) and a willingness to read and learn.

It is EASY! Most days it takes less than 10 mins to do what needs to be done! REALLY!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Given that I just bought the home the prior year and have never owned a pool before I figured I would leave it to the "professionals", but I haven't had much luck as you can tell. I have no problem ordering a test kit down the road via the site you recommended, but would like to buy one locally to get this "fix" underway asap.

tell me more......

4. Back To Top    #4

KC, others will chime in soon, but I am pretty sure getting a proper test locally is not possible.

Welcome to TFP!

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so which kit should I buy off that site? Also, what do you recommend I do while waiting for it to get here--would hate for things to get worse.

6. Back To Top    #6

TF-100 XL option, and also get the speed stir (link below). Mix like a pro easily. Best thing you could do for your pool right there. While waiting, add about 1 gallon of bleach each day just to try and keep it from getting any worse. Make sure to update your sig with all of your pool and equipment info.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you understand the SLAM page from top to bottom. No shortcuts. That's quite a green pool, but you can fix it with a SLAM. Be patient. The TF-100 will serve you well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are a few links to get you started:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I am new to this too and these are the articles I have been reading a lot lately. Good luck!
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

So I can use Wal-mart regular bleach in a saltwater pool?

9. Back To Top    #9

Great Value (plain) absolutely!

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome and I'm excited for you. Read A LOT! it may seem overwhelming at first but it will all fall into place and it is oh so easy! Follow the SLAM to a T. Fire your pool "pro" stay out of the pool store with their magic potions and save yourself some $$ at the same time. You'll love your test kit so much you may just sleep with it!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

I also have a salt water pool. While you are using regular bleach and SLAMing it is best to turn off your SWG. It will save a little cell life, but most importantly it will make it much easier to monitor the FC variables - the only chlorine added to the pool is the stuff you poured from a bottle

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome!

Believe it or not, it sounds like you got off lightly before you had enough and came here searching for answers.

When you get tired of all those technical posts, follow some of these and scroll through and look at the pictures. Recovering my old inspirational links

Also, if the trash hasn't been hauled away yet, see if you can find the empty containers from all the magic elixirs. Hopefully you didn't get dosed with copper-based algaecide, because you may end up with crystal clear but emerald green water, and green-haired swimmers.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP KC pool

That looks like my pool a couple of years. Haven't had that since switching over to the TFP method here.

If you can find it in your location there is also liquid pool shock ( just bleach) that's 12.5% and you end up buying less and carrying less from the store to home. I get four gallon cases at fleet farm for 9.99 That's the best price I can find. Check out the big box stores in your area.
    Here is a link to a calculator for comparing the cost of bleach from one size and or strength to another. Due to the different sizes and concentrations it's a nightmare trying to figure out what is a "deal" $$$.
    This way the calculator tells you how much your paying for just the bleach per ounce so you're comparing oranges to oranges.

Forgot to mention, DON'T use a bleach that's splash-less or scented. They've been know cause problems with foaming. Concentrated is fine it's just a bit stronger and in a smaller bottle usually.

Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

Going with the TFP method will give you great quality, sanitary, sparkling blue water and it does it for way less than the Pool Store or Expert you're presently using. Say good bye to algacide.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

If I backwash too much is it counter productive? Also, it sounds like the sand in my filter may need to be changed as my pool is 5 years old and I'm guessing the previous owner did not do this. Advice?

15. Back To Top    #15

No need to change the sand. Sand is sand. It does not "go bad" BUT you can do a deep clean of your sand. Here is a link:

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

That will be a good thing to do to make sure it is in tip-top shape!

Let us know what you find when you open it up! We LOVE pictures!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, I will attempt to clean my sand filter. however, given my algae situation should I risk it being off for several hours? Also, what about backwashing too frequently?

17. Back To Top    #17

We recommend backwashing then pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

If you add the chlorine and let it mix in for about 30 mins before you turn the pump off to clean it you should be okay. I hope it does not take SEVERAL hours. More like one or two at the most I hope.

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

These guys are 100% on target. Be patient, follow the process and it will NOT let you down. Even when it goes slow, or feel like there is little change, it will come. I helped a friend last season fix their pool. They had dumped hundreds of dollars into the pool (based on pool store advice) and still have a dark green swamp. Then they agreed to let me have a go at it, and they signed up to the commitment to the TFP way. See for yourself, as here is a grouping of pics of the pool, which was 11 days, green to clean. You be the judge. You'll get there and learn a ton along the way.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast