Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete by slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete by slide

We are getting the typhoon slideby Sr. smith installed. I think the manufacturer recommends 14 ft of concrete going out from the pool. Do you really need all that concrete? I'm not sure how the slide will end up looking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete by slide

Well, there must be a reason they recommend that much ... likely so that you can walk around it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

When we were pricing out slides for our pool the builder said the same thing about the 14'. It is needed for the slide and room behind it.
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.

4. Back To Top    #4

The slide should be mounted on a poured concrete pad and bolted to the pad. That said there is noting in the instructions that require concrete elsewhere. Therefore you could pour a small pad under the bottom of the slide and a pad under the ladder. Those need to be large enough that they provide stable support for the slide. Then you could have dirt or grass under the slide or behind the ladder.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks. we are getting 12 foot on the one side of the pool and its hard for the concrete guy to determine how much/ where to put the concrete without the slide set up yet.
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.

6. Back To Top    #6

We have the TurboTwister slide (I think it has a bigger footprint) and assembled it so it could be placed exactly where we wanted it and the deck marked around it accordingly before the deck pour. Then the slide was moved out of the way, beyond the concrete deck, awaiting installation. This trial run placement also allowed for the stub up piping to be properly placed coming out of the concrete where the slide ladder would be.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    We have the TurboTwister slide (I think it has a bigger footprint) and assembled it so it could be placed exactly where we wanted it and the deck marked around it accordingly before the deck pour. Then the slide was moved out of the way, beyond the concrete deck, awaiting installation. This trial run placement also allowed for the stub up piping to be properly placed coming out of the concrete where the slide ladder would be.
    I have the Vortex and installed the slide myself. I poured three separate slabs, one for the ladder, one for the base, and one for the foot that holds the slide outlet. The instruction manual does not have measurements for the slab placement, but a few of the diagrams are good enough to figure it out using a little math. After installing the slide, a made a flagstone path up to the ladder and the rest is rock (desert landscape).
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.