Choosing an Automatic Chlorinator

It's probably less of an issue with an above-ground pool vs. an in-ground pool. Also, depends on whether you're wearing shorts or long pants. With an in-ground pool, bleach splashes up from the water as it's being poured in. One little drop of pure bleach (especially of liquid chlorine, at 12%) will create a permanent spot, especially on black pants.

Do you have a method for adding bleach to water in which you never have any splash-back? If yes, please share!

singerteacher said:
It's probably less of an issue with an above-ground pool vs. an in-ground pool. Also, depends on whether you're wearing shorts or long pants. With an in-ground pool, bleach splashes up from the water as it's being poured in. One little drop of pure bleach (especially of liquid chlorine, at 12%) will create a permanent spot, especially on black pants.

Do you have a method for adding bleach to water in which you never have any splash-back? If yes, please share!

Welp, after posting that issue of ruining clothes, I finally found a method to 100% prevent splashing! Remove the cap from the bottle. Turn on pump. At about 2 or 3 feet from the wall of the return line in deep end, lay bleach bottle on it's side so that it's 1/2 way in the water. Tilt it at a slight angle. The bleach will come out of the bottle without any splashing and be swooped away with the water coming out of the return line so that it circulates.

Haven't seen this question posted regarding the LQ:

I have a concern about the bleach/chlorine outdoors. My pump is on a cement pad and primarily shaded by trees. Do I have any reason to be concerned about chlorine + heat in the LQ? I am really thinking of buying the product, but need expert opinion on this one issue. What are the parameters? Is there any condition where you should empty the LQ? (extreme heat?)

Thanks.

There is no hazard to people. The risk is that the bleach will lose strength while it is sitting in the hot LQ tank, which is essentially wasting money. This can happen, but is fairly easy to prevent (well reduce to low levels so it isn't an issue). In typical usage, bleach will only be in the tank for a fraction of a week on average. Also, the pool water cools down the contents of the tank when the pump is running. Even at fairly high outdoor temperatures, 6% bleach should be fine. 12.5% bleach is more at risk, and more worth protecting by taking some precautions.

Many people like to spray paint their LQ tank so that UV does not penetrate. If you do paint the tank, it is a good idea to leave a vertical strip unpainted (cover with tape before painting) so you can see the level in the tank. The other thing many people do is to rig a sun-shade to prevent direct sunlight from falling on the tank, which both protects the bleach from UV and reduces the peak temperature.

singerteacher said:
Take a bleach jug and a measuring cup (1-cup capacity with a lip; typical cook's cup for liquids, got mine at the grocery store). Hunker down at the edge of the pool by a return. Hold the cup up to the jug spout, carefully pour into the measuring cup. Move the cup down to the water surface, pour 2-3 ounce dollops in over the return jet.

Liquid is never falling more than the height of the measuring cup. Splashing is not an issue. Plastic measuring cup, not glass, natch. Adding 12 cups (as I did yesterday) is tedious but extremely low-risk to clothing. At worst I get a drip running down the side of the jug.
--paulr

Paul...You should give that method I mentioned above a shot. It's quick and easy and there's zero splashing. Here's the quote of it:

NullQwerty said:
singerteacher said:

Welp, after posting that issue of ruining clothes, I finally found a method to 100% prevent splashing! Remove the cap from the bottle. Turn on pump. At about 2 or 3 feet from the wall of the return line in deep end, lay bleach bottle on it's side so that it's 1/2 way in the water. Tilt it at a slight angle. The bleach will come out of the bottle without any splashing and be swooped away with the water coming out of the return line so that it circulates.

That certainly sounds like a zero-splash method, but it seems like it would be hard to measure how much goes in the pool. I guess if you're putting in entire jugs it's okay, but I have 12.5% and my usual amount is more like 4-6 cups (I'm shocking right now that's why I put in 12 yesterday).
--paulr

PaulR said:
That certainly sounds like a zero-splash method, but it seems like it would be hard to measure how much goes in the pool. I guess if you're putting in entire jugs it's okay, but I have 12.5% and my usual amount is more like 4-6 cups (I'm shocking right now that's why I put in 12 yesterday).
--paulr

Ahh...gotcha! Yeah, I usually put in the whole jug so it makes more sense for my situation, but your method is probably better for your situation.

Poolidiot-
I have the same problem with shirts ruined by bleach. I stand on the ground and add bleach to my AG pool- some ALWAYS splashes on me it seems. I think if I could stand on a deck and pour it at the level of my feet it would be different. BUt until I get my deck I'm basically pouring it in at chest height.

I know I'm several years behind and reviving an aging thread but I thought I would add to the bleach on clothes issue. For me, I look at it as the same a paint shirt. Don't think of bleached clothes as ruined, but rather your bleaching clothes. Always where the same clothes specifically for adding bleach. Then if you splash on the them, who cares!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
proginov said:
Does evaporation remove the CYA from the water, or can this only be done via backwash?
CYA will not evaporate. Backwashing will remove CYA, but if the CYA level is high it will require removing a lot of pool volume. Splash out followed by refill will remove CYA, however that will not do enough to fix a high CYA situation. The two ways to intentionally drop CYA are: 1. drain water and then replace with new water 2. Reverse Osmosis.

If you are having a problem, post your test numbers in a new thread and we will help. See this thread for posting guidelines: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

Poolidiot said:
NullQwerty said:
What I hate most about adding chlorine/bleach is that I have to get changed and throw on **** clothes. I've ruined too many shirts/pants by trying to just be careful and not get it on me.
(18X36 IG Vinyl pool by the way)

My goodness, may I ask how you put/pour bleach in your pool to get it all over your cloths? :shock: I am about as clumsy as one can get :party: and I never had this problem :whoot: (yet) :mrgreen:

If you pour it too quickly or it gurgles out of the bottle or you pour it from too high, it splashes. I have spots on most of my pants legs. If you carry a bottle and it rubs against your clothes, you can get a BIG white spot on your clothing, even if the bottle seems dry on the outside.

But, back to the topic, I haven't seen a recommendation here for a salt-water chlorinator! Does anyone have a system that they can recommend? I had a Zodiac DuoClear, but the cap cracked and the ionizer was ejected from the canister! That model is now obsolete, but from what I read on other pages on this site, that Zodiac should be avoided. The runner-up for my consideration, the IntelliChlor, seems to suffer from early mortality.

Any recommendations?

There are three that have captured the attention of the forum lately in a positive way. Auto Pilot, Intellichlor and CompuChlor. They all seem to be good units and there have actually seen very few early failures of any of them.

Hi All,
I'm in the process of doing the "BBB" plan with my pool, I've been reading a bunch on TFP (so many topics) and I wanna start planning and prepping for my piping/pump house reconfiguration come this fall after closing..I think I'm leaning towards some type of 12.5% Bleach injection system due to the high upfront costs associated with a SWG system and as well as the expense of the cell every few years.

Also,I have a few friends that have SWG's and they swear by them but they also say there is just a small hint of salt taste from their pool water while swimming? Is this normal or do they possible just don't have their pool water balanced properly ??

I also have a very good supply source for 12.5% bleach that would save me allot on weekly cost as well...

This season will be my trial season for the amount of bleach I need to properly maintain my pool manually,get the hang of the "BBB" pool care program and at the same time research my options for my upgrade this fall..

My pump,filter and all piping/valves are inside a separate pool house out of the elements with a door and window for ventilation, I have 110/220VAC panel in the room,electrical background so wiring configurations are not an issue.I have 2 separate suction lines coming out of the ground (1 from skimmer,1 from deep end drain) and 1-outlet pipe that supplies my 2 normal return jets and also a 3rd return jet on the stairs, there is also a dedicated return pipe going to the wall by the skimmer for a pressure side vac (polaris 360) I planned on relocating my pump/filter in this room anyhow (to make better use of the room) the original placement of everything wasted alot of room...

Any help/recommendations is much appreciated, so far I have learned so much from this forum and continue to learn something every day..TFP RULES !! :-D

roadking00 said:
Also,I have a few friends that have SWG's and they swear by them but they also say there is just a small hint of salt taste from their pool water while swimming? Is this normal or do they possible just don't have their pool water balanced properly ??

A neighbor has one - I haven't checked her chemistry with my kit but the salt is not noticed and the pool is trouble free at the moment. I read somewhere the amount of salt is about 3500ppm vs. 35000 for the ocean. The salt is not used to disinfect - it's just the source of the chlorine which is recirculated.

roadking00 said:
Also,I have a few friends that have SWG's and they swear by them but they also say there is just a small hint of salt taste from their pool water while swimming?
I can barely taste it in my pool, but I think I can at my level of ~3000 ppm. I am not sure I understand how tasting it is a consideration? As UWV said, it's about 1/10th the concentration of sea water. My pool is "balanced" and algae free.

linen said:
roadking00 said:
Also,I have a few friends that have SWG's and they swear by them but they also say there is just a small hint of salt taste from their pool water while swimming?
I can barely taste it in my pool, but I think I can at my level of ~3000 ppm. I am not sure I understand how tasting it is a consideration? As UWV said, it's about 1/10th the concentration of sea water. My pool is "balanced" and algae free.

My kids like swimming in my father-in-law's pool more than their friend's SWCG pool. Interestingly so does their friend. My kids say the taste of the water is involved - their friend says she likes the slide we have!

Possibly other things that are effecting the taste, including ph level, etc. Not an apple to apple comparison.

I have never heard anyone say my water tastes bad...not that kids would come out and say that...AND, they shouldn't be tasting it.

linen said:
Possibly other things that are effecting the taste, including ph level, etc. Not an apple to apple comparison.

I have never heard anyone say my water tastes bad...not that kids would come out and say that...AND, they shouldn't be tasting it.

To be clear they are not saying it 'tastes bad' they are saying it tastes salty and they don't like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.