Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair Advice Please

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, CA

Repair Advice Please

We bought a house that came with a pool about 5 months ago. Now that I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the water balancing side of things I would like to start figuring out what is needed to fix up the rest.

There are three main things in the immediate vicinity of the water that I would like to start with.

1. Some of the grout is missing between most of the coping tiles. Do I just fill it in with regular grout?

2. The rubber stuff between the concrete and the coping tiles needs to be repaired or replaced. Can I fix it or do I need to dig it out and replace it? FtWhat material is it?

3. Is the cover for the skimmer supposed to be flush with the ground? I feel like it's a tripping hazard with how it sticks up right now.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Ignore the bougainvillea flowers, silly me decided to take the picture before I cleaned it out.
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Repair Advice Please

1) I would think you can just use normal grout for the coping.

2) The rubber between the coping and deck should be dug out and removed and then a new bead of flexible caulking, like polyurethane I think, would be added.

3) That skimmer lid looks like a hack job. The rig is supposed to be embedded in concrete with the lid flush with the top of the concrete.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Repair Advice Please

That looks like type N gray mortar, concrete aisle at Lowes. Dig out the caulk, put in foam backer as needed and use Sikaflex two part self leveling sealant.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach