Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I vacuum to waste with this set up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I vacuum to waste with this set up?

I'm trying to figure out if I have an option of vacuuming to waste. The pool has a lot of debris ,from the peek I have taken under the cover, and cartridge filters, so it is my understanding that it might be better to just vacuum to waste instead of killing the filter (or having to frequently clean) with all the junk. The water level is near the top of the skimmer, so it seems a decent way to get water level lower, too. That said... How do I do that? I don't see anything obvious that would suggest a way to do that. The pool has an Infloor system that doesn't work right now ( the gear module things are missing, as are some of the pop up heads).

What should I look for on my setup?

Will add photos in a bit

IMG_3960 by Carrie, on Flickr

IMG_3961 by Carrie, on Flickr

IMG_3574 by Carrie, on Flickr

IMG_3578 by Carrie, on Flickr
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I vacuum to waste with this set up?

Those of us with cartridge filters don't normally have backwash capability since we don't have multiport valves. Some owners however had a 3-way valve installed between the pump and filter which allows them to divert water from the pump straight out into the grass before hitting the filter. If you don't have that, then you can't backwash. I can't either.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I'm not seeing any pipe that just runs out into the grass, either.

So is the only option to just run the junk through the filter? How am I supposed to lower the water level? submersible pump?
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure, sump pumps work well for this. Just put it on the step of the pool and aim the hose to where you want to drain to and let it rip!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

You can lower the water itself in different ways depending on your plumbing situation. For example:
    - Some filters have a small spigot at the bottom to release water and small sediment
    - Some owners have a pipe that leaves the filter that may have the ability to let water flow be re-directed
    - Yes, a submersible sump pump can be rented unless you already own one

In my case, I have the first two options. A small spigot which lets water out slowly, and also a fountain "stub-out". I use it for a fountain sprayer, aeration, etc, but I can also turn it like and push water out like a fire hydrant. Kind of nice when I need to lower water quickly. But like you, I have no filter to waste option.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can try vacuuming to waste using the siphon method. Its a little trickier to get started on an inground pool, but it can be done.

siphon method
    Quote Originally Posted by madwil
    when I had a Intex, I used a standard vacuum head and hose, and set a syphon over the side instead of using the pump at all- as long as you don't mind watering the grass, and replacing water (same as vacuum to waste!)
    fill hose with water- start at one end, attach to vacuum to weight/hold underwater.
    push hose underwater along the length, so it fills entirely
    when you reach the other end, water should bubble out of it
    Hold both ends under water
    grab the middle of the hose, throw it over the side so a loop is hanging lower than the water level in the pool
    work back the length of the hose away from the vacuum head
    throw the end on the ground where you want the water to drain
    start to vacuum!
    when done, lift vacuum out of water to break suction, and drain to other end so gunk doesn't come back into pool
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!