IG Spa Leak, any ideas here?

towney

Apr 5, 2007
Central Florida
I've noticed over the past 3 weeks that the spa has been losing about an inch a night, about an inch below the spill way. I have shut the valve off the spa a couple days ago and it is slowly losing water. Called my original PB and they think it might be leaking around the main drain(s) which I have 2 one on bottom and on side of spa or even around the spa light pipe. Any suggestions, ideas to check? Day 2 of shutting off the spa and it's down 3-4 inches.

Re: IG Spa Leak

You could also be losing water to the pool through a leaking valve. That would be much more likely (IMO) than leaking "around the main drain" which is an unusual diagnosis to give over the phone. Could be, but a small leak in a moving part would be much more likely.

spishex said:
You could also be losing water to the pool through a leaking valve. That would be much more likely (IMO) than leaking "around the main drain" which is an unusual diagnosis to give over the phone. Could be, but a small leak in a moving part would be much more likely.
Don't think it is leaking into pool for I have been having to put water in the pool. I have had the pump off for 48hrs and not noticing pool level rise or fall.

If your spa is raised so that the water level is above that of the pool, a leaking valve can definitely be the culprit, as stated above. As long as the water is leaking into the pool through the valve and nowhere else, it is not that big a deal. I have had this occur and you would not notice the pool level rising from a 1" drop in spa level.

I have also had leaks in the spa that were confirmed by plugging the main drains and checking the water level. Using dye around fittings, etc. can be helpful in finding leaks and 1" a night should be able to be found with some work. You can also drain the spa below the jets and the intake for the jets (which is probably the drain on the side if you have a separate pump) to isolate whether the bottom drains are the cause and then work your way up to the light/etc.

Good luck!

RinRMD said:
If your spa is raised so that the water level is above that of the pool, a leaking valve can definitely be the culprit, as stated above. As long as the water is leaking into the pool through the valve and nowhere else, it is not that big a deal. I have had this occur and you would not notice the pool level rising from a 1" drop in spa level.

Doesn't even have to be raised. If you've got 3-way valves on the suction and return side and your suction side valve doesn't close completely but your return does, presto-draino. :-D

Now you all have me totally confused with the valves, remember the spa is not getting any water into it and its losing water with the pump off over night. Over the past month or so with the pump running I seem to have been putting water in the pool because the level seemed to be going down. When the pump shut off at night I would lose approx 1-2 of water in the spa. It doesn't seem to be draining into the pool with the spa shut off. I have all the valves shut off from the spa and only the pool is running when the pump is on, so no water is flowing into the spa. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the spa and pump filter area, please check back. There has to be some leak if I having to fill the pool once a week. Thanks for your help.

Re: IG Spa Leak, Any Ideas here?

Here are pictures of Spa as it sits this morning, seem the level has not regressed over night.Update: looks like level loss has stopped above the jets Now this is confusing, check valve faulty?
1. Is the Spa this morning. Pipe in the middle is the shorten fountain used to create more flow at bottom.
2. Piping/Valves configuration. Dirt wash out is from a cover that had water on it on top of this area.
3. Spa flow. Set for completely off w/ full on to infloor system.
4. Auto valve for Spa.
5. Check Valve.
Hope this helps and thanks for all the assistance.

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0065-1.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

It's probably either the auto-valve for the spa just in front of the pump (pic #4), or the check valve which would be leaking into the water feature (pic #5). I'd suspect the check valve first unless it's worse when the pump is running.

Thanks. I just went an bought a new jandy check valve and will replace the insides of the old one. One thing I did do was put back in the taller pipe for the spa fountain yesterday and filled the spa. Overnight the level in the spa only went down to the top of the fountain head which was about an inch below water level. The smaller one that's was in the picture I put in over the winter to circulate the water at the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.