Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi all,

I just joined this board this week, after we bought our new house which has a pool (it's right next door, go figure...) Anyway, the person I bought it from did not use it, and had a pool service company. They maintained it well (well, as far as I can tell, as the water was clear). I decided to keep him on for a month (at $180/month) just for the transition. Basically paying for him to explain to me what he does to the pool.

It seems he shocks it weekly, with calcium hypo chloride, and refills the floater with 2-3 pucks. Not knowing anything over last few weeks, I went to Leslies and bought some pucks and a bucket of Powder Plus (calcium hypo chloride) Over the last week, we have had a hail storm, and a flash flood, which brought in tons of dirt, leaves, and runoff into my pool (from San Antonio, TX) Got it cleaned up, but still cloudy. We have been shocking it every couple days with the Powder Plus, and it seems to be clearing it up.

So I have no intention of keeping the pool guy, and I have been trying to figure out the best way to maintain my pool. And I found this site! I have read other sites, like SwimUnivesity.com, and other forums, but this one has made me addicted to knowing the ins and outs of my pool. I have read pool school, and plan on starting the TFP way, with liquid chlorine. So I went to Home Depot to see what they have, and they had the HDX germicidal bleach there for $2.99/jug. I picked up 5 jugs to get things started. And I know you can use baking soda, and borax for ph UP and Down, but they had the HTH brand of phUP and Down for like $8 for 7 pounds. I am sure that is more than I would pay for the generic, but I was already there, and I thought I should have it on hand. So now I have all these chemicals. Right now not too hot in San Antonio, but in summer its hot. I was thinking of leaving the stuff in the shed, but it can be like 120+ in there in the summer. Do I need to leave this stuff indoors? Garage can get to like 80-90, would that be OK? I got three young boys, don't want them near this stuff.

As far as current levels, I bought some test strips that checks FC, ph ad alk. I guess I need to buy a better testing kit, so I can get some base numbers and get started. I guess at this point, my only concern with this TFP process is when we go on vacation. I have read I can throw the floater out there with some pucks during that time, and maybe pre-shock it. Any other advice?

thanks, and looking forward to getting of my pool guy!

Paul

Welcome! An experienced member will be by before too long to give you some insights.

In the meantime, get a proper testing kit! It's hard to do anything without it. I made the mistake of waiting for a few weeks but that wait has set me back in being able to start serious work on getting my pool into TFP shape!

TFTestkits.net

The issue with chlorine/bleach is that it breaks down and even faster in hotter weather. sounds like your garage is the best option. chlorine isnt something you can stock up too much, i wouldnt buy more than 2 weeks worth. make sure that the stuff you are buying is just plain old bleach, no splashles,outdoor, etc. that stuff will foam up your pool.

for lowering pH, the best option is to use muriatic acid, its the cheapest option. you probably have hard water in Texas, so im guessing you wont have to worry about raising pH other than aeration in the pool...but thats not critical at this point.

get yourself a TF-100 test kit ordered asap! until it comes in just keep adding enough bleach in the pool to add 3-4ppm based on pool math. once you get the test kit in a few days, you can run a full test and we can help you out from there.

welcome to TFP!

p.s....$180 a month for a pool service!!!! holy cow!

any chance you have a pool store nearby that sells liquid chlorine (i.e. 10.5% bleach). here in FL you can buy a 2.5 gallon refillable jug and the refills are only about $4. not sure if they have those in florida. places like pinch a penny, leslies, etc.....EDIT - it appears there are Leslie's out there...give them a call and ask. That is hands down the cheapest way to buy it

forgot to address the vacations....the biggest issue with pucks is raising CYA...and more importantly understanding its impact on your chlorine levels. armed with this knowledge and ability to accuratly test CYA (with the TF-100 test kit), there is not going to be an issue with using a floater with some pucks for a week while you are on vacation. when you get back you will know what to (test) :)

Thanks guys for quick info. I ordered a test...UPS ground, to San Antonio so hopefully here next week. SO yesterday, after we had a good amount of rainfall the day before, I noticed pool was getting green. I used my paper tests and saw FC was at 0. Ouch. that I knew was bad. Not knowing what I know now, I called pool guy and he said dump 4 pounds of the Powder pro in there. I did. And today it is cloudy blue. FC was round 5 or so. Pool guy is coming tomorrow, so gonna see what he says and does. I got him until mid May, and he has kept pool clear, so will listen to what he has to say. Going to ask him about the liquid chlorine, and see what he says.

Looking forward to first tests and seeing where I am at!

So I just called two local pool stores here in North San Antonio:

- Leslies, has Liquid Chlorine, 10-12%, $17.99/4 gallons
- The Pool House, 10%, 4.99/gallon
- EDIT: one more. 365 Pool & Spa LLC: $6/gallon, or 19.99 for four! Ouch!

When I went to Home Depot today, they had SMART liquid Chlorine there, I think it was like 4 something a gallon, but can get 4 for like 16.46.

I ended up getting the HDX Germicidal Bleach, for 2.99 gallon (8.25%). Read on here it is OK. Will need to look at Walmart, SAMs or Costco.

Any other San Antonions have any better ideas?

Thanks guys for quick info. I ordered a test...UPS ground, to San Antonio so hopefully here next week. SO yesterday, after we had a good amount of rainfall the day before, I noticed pool was getting green. I used my paper tests and saw FC was at 0. Ouch. that I knew was bad. Not knowing what I know now, I called pool guy and he said dump 4 pounds of the Powder pro in there. I did. And today it is cloudy blue. FC was round 5 or so. Pool guy is coming tomorrow, so gonna see what he says and does. I got him until mid May, and he has kept pool clear, so will listen to what he has to say. Going to ask him about the liquid chlorine, and see what he says.

Looking forward to first tests and seeing where I am at!

dont waste your time asking him about liquid chlorine. no point in arguing with the pool guy honestly. if he is paid up just let him go. at this point your CYA is going to be through the roof and you will have to drain and refill, just a matter of how much. its been maintained that way for years, a week or two more isnt going to make much of a difference. arguing about using liquid chlroine is just going to lead to frustration, believe me :)

- - - Updated - - -

So I just called two local pool stores here in North San Antonio:

- Leslies, has Liquid Chlorine, 10-12%, $17.99/4 gallons
- The Pool House, 10%, 4.99/gallon
- EDIT: one more. 365 Pool & Spa LLC: $6/gallon, or 19.99 for four! Ouch!

When I went to Home Depot today, they had SMART liquid Chlorine there, I think it was like 4 something a gallon, but can get 4 for like 16.46.

I ended up getting the HDX Germicidal Bleach, for 2.99 gallon (8.25%). Read on here it is OK. Will need to look at Walmart, SAMs or Costco.

Any other San Antonions have any better ideas?

the price on leslies is what tehy call liquid shock. i guess that means they dont sell the refillable jugs? the ones down here have both, but what you want is the jugs. looks like bleach is about the best option based on that.

Until you get your test kit (I hope it was the TF-100??) go easy on putting any granular or puck product in your pool. Some have CYA, others have Calcium, and both are hard to get out of the pool water if you get them too high. They require draining some water and refilling to remove. So hold back, 'k? Just use bleach for now.

What type of pool do you have? Plaster? Fiberglass? Vinyl?? Pics always welcome :)

Yes, got the TF-100. Pool is plaster. Will update Signature with details as I get them. Here is a pic. from when they did the inspection last month. Little cloudy now after the storms hit the area.

pool.jpg

What a pretty pool/house/area! NICE!

You are off to a wonderful start! Finding TFP is going to save you so much money and your pool will have never looked better!

Good job on getting the good test kit!

Make sure to check the date code on any chlorine/bleach/shock from Lowes or Home Depot. It should be no older than 3 months.

Keep the pictures coming!

Kim :cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good & welcome to TFP! I'm guessing your Polaris will get a lot of mileage on it with the gorgeous trees high above. Hopefully they are a "clean" variety. I love the irregular shape. Most people these days would not be bold enough to build that shape pool.

I do agree that the sooner you take over control of your pool, the better off you will be. Proper test kit in-hand, you are the person best equipped and most interested in properly maintaining your pool at the best price. Our BJ's (like Cosco) has liquid shock (just high strength 12.5% bleach) for $13.99/4 gals (seasonal here).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.