Spa Jets Always On

I bought a house that includes an outdoor spa and I have been having nothing but problems opening it.
I tested it last fall before buying the house and it seemed to be working fine.

When I first started opening it last week the jets weren't circulating water at all, I thought it was an air lock and bled out the system but the problem still remained.
I ended up removing the pump and oiling the impeller and noticed that it was jammed. There was a lot of calcium residue built up and I cleaned it out a bit (water is hard here). I was able to get it to start turning, but now the jets won't turn off and it's loud. I know the jets need to be circulating to heat the tub, but this is one of the two high speed jet settings that it is staying on (the first level massage setting and it's loud). Generally with spas I've had in the past there would be a low circulation level that would come on and off to heat and circulate the water that would be fairly quiet. The jet setting that is staying on for this spa is super loud and can't be normal. It's still fairly cold here (southern ontario) so this may be a protection setting from freezing?

This is a Balboa control panel and I read online that it may switch back to a low level circulation setting after the water reaches 50 degrees, but I left it going for a couple of hours and the jets remained on after surpassing 50 degrees, so I turned the thing off until I can figure this out.
Any ideas on what to try here?

Many spa control systems, including Balboa, have and option to set how many hours the filter will run each day, regardless of heating needs, called a Filter Cycle. This can be anywhere from 2 hours to continuous. Between control models, how you change this setting is very different. For instance, on my panel I have to press the Temp button, then the Jets button to access the Filter Cycle options. Pressing the Jets button again will cycle through the filter cycle time options. Not sure if this relates to your problem as this filter cycle is run on low speed for only a single pump on my spa. It could be a wiring issue with the pump as well causing the high speed to be running when it should be on low speed.

Many spa control systems, including Balboa, have and option to set how many hours the filter will run each day, regardless of heating needs, called a Filter Cycle. This can be anywhere from 2 hours to continuous. Between control models, how you change this setting is very different. For instance, on my panel I have to press the Temp button, then the Jets button to access the Filter Cycle options. Pressing the Jets button again will cycle through the filter cycle time options. Not sure if this relates to your problem as this filter cycle is run on low speed for only a single pump on my spa. It could be a wiring issue with the pump as well causing the high speed to be running when it should be on low speed.

Thanks very much for your reply.
Yes, the Balboa control has a setting from F2 to F8 to control how many hours are between the filter cycles. I have it set to F8.
There are two high speed settings jet settings and it is staying on the first high speed jet setting, not the highest. If this is the normal low jet setting for circulating the water and heating etc. then I guess my problem becomes, why is it so loud? I guess I just assumed that this setting is for massage, not the low power circulation. So is there something I can do about the loudness, as my neighbours are probably getting annoyed by this sound too. It can't be normal, so something must be wrong here.

Also, after the initial 4 minutes of priming after plugging in the hot tub, I am not able to turn the jets off, if I toggle the jets button, generally it goes from off, to speed 1 to speed 2. But now it seems to be only toggling to speed 1 and speed 2. Possibly because the water is only 50 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.