Pool heaters

Chisek

Apr 19, 2016
Homer Glen, IL
Can anyone help me decide which pool heater to get & how many btu's should I get?
My pool is about 35,000 gallons with about a 720' surface area. I am replacing a 25,000BTU Hayward which looks to be 20 years old (we just bought the house.) Are haywards still that reliable or should I be looking at a different manufacture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you mean 250,0000 btu?

Hayward is notoriously unreliable (especially the newer models) Lots of talk about that if you search the forum.

Raypak seems to be the most reliable.

The Raypak R406A looks like a good option if you have natural gas.

Raypak definitely seems to be the favorite on these forums, I just got the 406A last July and love it. With a pool that size you want to get the highest BTUs possible, mine heats my 21,000 gallon pool about 2 degrees per hour.

We have a couple of pool pros (in the industry, or ITI) on this site and they all seem to recommend Raypack as the hands down winner (simplicity of design, maintenance is easier and less costly, units are highly reliable and well-built).

For your size pool I think you'll need a 400kBTU/Hr unit. HOWEVER, check your gas line and meter setup. If you're upgrading by that many BTUs, the gas company will likely need to install a bigger meter to provide sufficient supply.

did you mean 250,0000 btu?

Hayward is notoriously unreliable (especially the newer models) Lots of talk about that if you search the forum.

Raypak seems to be the most reliable.

The Raypak R406A looks like a good option if you have natural gas.

Oops. Yes, I did mean 250,000. Thanks for the help. 1st time owning an in ground pool. I was looking around online & all heaters seemed to have mixed reviews. I was leaning towards the Haward just because the one I'm replacing seemed to last a long time. I will look at the Raypak now.

This as an older thread I just saw which may still apply. I am about to replace a millivolt Hayward heater which was just a constant PIA. Every time it started without fussing of some kind I was thrilled. It runs off of the energy of the pilot light (wasting gas all day), and there is so little power off the bat that any issue with any part and it just does nothing. Total PIA.

Bernie

35,000 gallons and you had a 250,000 BTU heater? How did that work out? Does not seem like its enough BTU's.

I just bought a 206,000 BTU Raypak. My pool is 20,000 gallons though, and even that I was told was not enough from the pool store????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.