Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heaters

Can anyone help me decide which pool heater to get & how many btu's should I get?
    My pool is about 35,000 gallons with about a 720' surface area. I am replacing a 25,000BTU Hayward which looks to be 20 years old (we just bought the house.) Are haywards still that reliable or should I be looking at a different manufacture?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool heaters

did you mean 250,0000 btu?

Hayward is notoriously unreliable (especially the newer models) Lots of talk about that if you search the forum.

Raypak seems to be the most reliable.

The Raypak R406A looks like a good option if you have natural gas.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Raypak definitely seems to be the favorite on these forums, I just got the 406A last July and love it. With a pool that size you want to get the highest BTUs possible, mine heats my 21,000 gallon pool about 2 degrees per hour.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

We have a couple of pool pros (in the industry, or ITI) on this site and they all seem to recommend Raypack as the hands down winner (simplicity of design, maintenance is easier and less costly, units are highly reliable and well-built).

For your size pool I think you'll need a 400kBTU/Hr unit. HOWEVER, check your gas line and meter setup. If you're upgrading by that many BTUs, the gas company will likely need to install a bigger meter to provide sufficient supply.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    did you mean 250,0000 btu?

Hayward is notoriously unreliable (especially the newer models) Lots of talk about that if you search the forum.

Raypak seems to be the most reliable.

The Raypak R406A looks like a good option if you have natural gas.
    Oops. Yes, I did mean 250,000. Thanks for the help. 1st time owning an in ground pool. I was looking around online & all heaters seemed to have mixed reviews. I was leaning towards the Haward just because the one I'm replacing seemed to last a long time. I will look at the Raypak now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP,

No doubt you'll need the 400 series with that size of pool and no less. Raypak, and Rheem are one in the same too just FYI.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Going with a Raypak heater. Now the only question I have is, should I order a Millivolt or a digital heater? What are the pros & cons of each?

8. Back To Top    #8

This as an older thread I just saw which may still apply. I am about to replace a millivolt Hayward heater which was just a constant PIA. Every time it started without fussing of some kind I was thrilled. It runs off of the energy of the pilot light (wasting gas all day), and there is so little power off the bat that any issue with any part and it just does nothing. Total PIA.

Bernie
    Bernie

20,000 Gallon (16 x 32), IN ground, Vinyl Pool
    Hayward Single Speed 1-1/5 Hp Pump - 3/4 HP "Booster" (?) Polaris 280 Vacuum
    48 Sq Ft, 96 GPM, Diatomaceous Earth Filter
    Pool is approximately 15+ years old- Newer than 1985
    Hayward 300,000 BTU H300MV Heater (Milli-Volt UGH!!)

9. Back To Top    #9

35,000 gallons and you had a 250,000 BTU heater? How did that work out? Does not seem like its enough BTU's.

I just bought a 206,000 BTU Raypak. My pool is 20,000 gallons though, and even that I was told was not enough from the pool store????
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a 206A and it suits me just fine. (20*40 approx. approx. 30K gls) Now if you're trying to keep it toasty in early March or late October you could have some trouble.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater