Storing Muriatic Acid....opinions please!

I think you misunderstand what he was saying........he was thinking about putting the bottle it comes in inside a 5 gal. bucket and drilling holes in the bucket to vent that.

I think the locking plastic containers is a MUCH better way to store it if there are kids around.

Kim :cat:

I think I've decided to go with the 5 gallon bucket route. I will keep it in the original gallon container and put that inside the 5 gallon bucket with 2-3 small holes under the lip of the top of the bucket. Then I plan on storing it outside in the back the corner of the house on a rock bed where there is an overhang. This is behind some bushes where the kids never go anyways. :)

Interesting thread. I always put my bleach and MA on a wire shelf in my shed. I figured it was fine as my nearest Home Depot has them next to each other in the pool/garden section on a wire shelf. I'm going to look for a new home for the MA.

Interesting thread. I always put my bleach and MA on a wire shelf in my shed. I figured it was fine as my nearest Home Depot has them next to each other in the pool/garden section on a wire shelf. I'm going to look for a new home for the MA.

Our lowes stored the MA OVER the chlorine!!!!!!!!!!! One day a MA box fell over...............can you guess what happened??????? The whole store got closed down and they got fined for unsafe practices!

Kim:cat:

This is enlightening, when my pool was finished in January the builder just left off a box of MA and a box of chlorine next to each other against the wall of the house under my patio cover so I just kept them where they were. I guess at the very least I should separate the chlorine and MA it seems. Should I worry about the stucco or window frames or anything like that or is the rust issue more just for bare metal?

Make sure that you store it completely separated from liquid chlorine if you are using that with your system. If the two chemicals accidentally mix they realease highly poisonous chlorine gas. You should think even into the extreme case: what if the house is on fire and the plastic containers do melt - will they mix or not ? In our system we've put them into two different rooms with a wall in between that is at least fire safe for up to 30 minutes. I don't know whether that is true or not but someone old us that it's a legal requirement to keep them separated (fire code or similar).

I think you misunderstand what he was saying........he was thinking about putting the bottle it comes in inside a 5 gal. bucket and drilling holes in the bucket to vent that.

I think the locking plastic containers is a MUCH better way to store it if there are kids around.

Kim :cat:

Lol, oh I see, yes I did. Thank you. I was thinking "this could turn out dangerous drilling holes and such," haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep my MA jug in a 5 gallon Lowes bucket under a bush by my pool equipment. If kept in the shade, I wouldn't drill holes in the bucket. I don't know if I would drill the holes even if it was in the sun. Try it without holes, and see if the bucket pressures up. If it does, then maybe drill the holes. If you drill holes in the bucket, definitely keep it away from any metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.