I have a 24' round above ground pool. The winter cover fell in and there were a ton of leaves in the pool so I decided to open it earlier than normal to get a head start on cleaning it. I removed all the leaves off the bottom. Hooked my pump and filter back up. Checked all my levels and they were as follows:
pH - 7.2
FC - 0
TA - 120
CH - Don't have the test for this one
CYA - 47
I proceeded to add two gallons of liquid shock, 10% chlorine. I ran the pool all day and the chlorine did not change anything even though the free chlorine level was above 10. The test kit I have only goes up to 10ppm. The levels had to be above 10ppm because the test color water was orange when I added the 5 drops of OTO.
So with the advice of a pool guy, I added a four more gallons of shock last night. Still green this morning. Test color again orange so ppm is very high.
I have been cleaning the filter daily and my pump's pressure is really strong. I know chlorine levels have to be above 30ppm, way higher than I have ever had it.
This green will not go away. In fact, it's very bright green.
I run a SWG system and have never had an algae problem ever over the years. First time I have had to deal with something this bad.
I'm starting to think I may have to drain this pool. I can't add anymore chlorine right now because the levels are very high as it stands. When I clean my filter, it is brown dead algae I'm rinsing off the filter. But the green in the pool itself will not budge.
What am I doing wrong?