Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused pool owner

Hi this is my first time posting.
    We have owned this house and pool for 4 years.
    Obviously I still don't have a clue, but i try.
    We have a 20 x 40 in ground pool with a vinyl liner, 32000 gallons.
    Test strip tells me:
    Hardness-100
    total chlorine -3
    Free clorine-0
    ph-7.2
    alkalinity-120
    ca-0

So far we have scrubbed the walls , vacuumed and back washed.
    We have added 18 gallons of bleach, clarifier, stabilizer, and we have a cloudy blue pool. What am I missing
    Good luck explaining it to me, I'm really trying.
    We did the BBB method last year after we got it right and did great!
    Thank you!
    Lucky88
    32000 gallon pool, vinyl liner, in ground, Dubuque Iowa, Taylor test kit Complete (Fas-dpd chlorine), Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused pool owner

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you were following TFP last season, then you have probably seen our advice about test kits. Having a good, high quality FAS/DPD test kit is an important part of the TFP care plan. A test kit is an investment in the quality of your pool and it will pay off in no time at all. Do not add any more clarifiers, they will not help at this point. How much stabilizer did you add and how long ago did you add it? You did not post a result for CYA and that is an important value to know. If you have over stabilized the water it will be more difficult to keep clear.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Skip the clarifier and stick with these, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and use only as needed.

Toss the guess strips in the trash and order a TF100xl from TFTestkits.net.

This is how we clear algae from a pool. Don't skip any steps! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And this is how we maintain pools. The good news is I only had to read it 30 or 40 times before I got it. But, the real key is just to jump in and start doing, it becomes much clearer fast. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Clarifier is not something you just dump in the pool. You use it to remove items from your water after the water is balanced and there is no bad stuff present.

Get a test kit k 2006 is good or tf100. Give us some numbers from that.

I suspect you have something growing in there and you will need to SLAM the pool
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay i have a Taylor test kit but don't really know how to use it.
    Its a Complete (Fas-dpd chlorine) set
    I have printed out all the info from above and will look it over.
    My biggest confusion is the cya and shocking?
    I had a pool place help me one year and I had over 1000.00 in chemicals and I still had algae. So that's when my neighbor said dump in bleach and we found the BBB method.
    Thanks for all the info, I will work on reading it and try to understand it
    Lucky88
    32000 gallon pool, vinyl liner, in ground, Dubuque Iowa, Taylor test kit Complete (Fas-dpd chlorine), Hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm a new pool owner and I found the step-by-step instructions in the Pool School section under Extended Test Kit Directions to be very helpful. I also watched a few YouTube videos. You can also use the advanced search feature on this forum which I have found invaluable when looking for specific topics. Good luck.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay my son and I did the testing, so it might be a little off???
    CYA- less than 30
    ph-7
    alk-40
    calcium hardness-200
    free chlorine-1.8 free
    9 combined
    I hope this is what you were asking for
    Lucky88

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm hoping some of the experts jump in here and give you some assistance. I know they will ask you specifically which Taylor test kit you have.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

9. Back To Top    #9

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Numbers look good. You are ready to SLAM your pool.
    Here is the short version of instructions, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Here is the long version
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

thank you, I will read all info and get moving!!
    Lucky88

11. Back To Top    #11

When you post your tests do it like this:

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH (net really needed with a vinyl liner)
    CYA

I bet this helps!

How to Use a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 - YouTube

For the PH I find if I hold a white, plastic plate up behind the PH test tube and pull the plate back and forth until I get a color match I get the match faster.

For the CYA-------do not start looking for the dot. Add some water, glance, look away, add some more water, glance, look away, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a glance call it good!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

For the CYA-------do not start looking for the dot. Add some water, glance, look away, add some more water, glance, look away, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a glance call it good!

Kim
    As I'm still new to all this too, should the dot on the CYA test just disappear or should it be entirely gone? I think I'm over analyzing this test.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016

13. Back To Top    #13

LOL I HATE the CYA test! So that ^^^^ is what I came up with..........I call it the "bar glance". You don't stare, you just glance then look away, glance again to see if they saw you looking LOL

The dot should be gone when you GLANCE in the tube. If you stare you WILL see it even if you cannot see it LOL One person had an idea I like also. Pour it to each level and the the glance in and out. If you can see it go to the next level, etc until you reach a level where it cannot be seen at a GLANCE. Call it that level.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay, thanks again.
    I get really frustrated because my husband says just keep adding chlorine??? I'm like there's more to it?!?!?!
    Lucky88

15. Back To Top    #15

If you have a pool heater you'll need some CH, check the owners manual....usually 225 ppm is good.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

Kim
    I saw a post on here once about CYA test and was the best advice (for me anyway) ... Pour to first line... Hold down look... If needed.. Pour to next line etc....

Has really helped me in that test lol
    Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

17. Back To Top    #17

How long has it been since the filter was backwashed?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yesterday and we changed the sand filter to all new sand last year
    Lucky88

19. Back To Top    #19

Here are some reference photos of the CYA test from Taylor, https://www.taylortechnologies.com/C...P?ContentID=36
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you that was a great example.
    Lucky88

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast