Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Balance!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Water Balance!

HI!
    I have been monitoring and testing water for a few weeks now. Ordered new regents and tested again last night. I run the pump/filter/SWG a couple of hours a day right now.
    Here is what I got yesterday-
    pH - 8+
    CH- 3
    CYA - 60
    TA - 100
    CA - 40
    Water is clear.
    I have an intex metal frame, 14400 gallons with a sand filter.
    No shade, no leaves, on a hill in east Texas.
    Let me know how I need to tweak it to keep it going smoothly!
    Love this group!
    Melissa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Balance!

I have it all laid out for you in this:

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool.

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Let me know if these help or not.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is important to keep PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. When it goes above 7.8 add acid to lower it to 7.5. Let your TA drop over time as you add acid to lower the PH. It will likely settle somewhere around 60 or 70, which is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, if I wasn't very clear. I am familiar with Pool School and Chemicals from previous years. I specifically am having trouble keeping pH down. I add muriatic acid almost every other day when it is not raining. That was why I was seeing if something else was wrong with my other levels. M

5. Back To Top    #5

Try lowering your TA slowly (even to as low as 60) and see if that stabilizes your PH. I lowered mine and it stabilized my PH even with a SWG. Accomplish this by lowering your PH to 7.2 and then aerating to raise your PH and repeat with more MA until you reach your pool's happy place!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

So no concerns with the CA affecting it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Is CA calcium? What type of pool do you have? I assume you have a vinyl liner? If so, CH (the preferred acronym for calcium) is not relevant except for your CSI value. No need to raise unless you need to raise to get your CSI into a better range. On a side note, you should raise your CYA to between 70-80 for your SWG.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

8. Back To Top    #8

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

CH is not important as long as it isn't too high in a vinyl pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok updated signature! Thanks!
    Intex AG Metal Frame, 14400 Gallons, new water, 4 year old pool/pump, Sand Filter, Taylor Test Kit K-2006, SWG.

10. Back To Top    #10

Noticed you didn't include your FC LEVEL. If it's over 10 your Ph results will be wrong.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!