Life expectancy of an automatic pool cleaner??

wpturner05

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2015
Reading PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good Morning TFP,

What is the expected life of an automatic pool cleaner?

I like the simplicity of the automatic cleaners. For me to plug in, drop in, walk away and return to the pool cleaned is great.

The only time I have my cleaner in the pool is when it is functioning. I don't like the cords and the cleaners in there with my children. I have preteens and teenagers in there playing games all the time. Besides for ease and safety - I would like to extend the life of any pool cleaner I have.

Because of the investment of the automatic cleaners - it would be helpful to know about how long they last …

Thank you in advance for your help.

Good Morning TFP,

What is the expected life of an automatic pool cleaner?

I like the simplicity of the automatic cleaners. For me to plug in, drop in, walk away and return to the pool cleaned is great.

The only time I have my cleaner in the pool is when it is functioning. I don't like the cords and the cleaners in there with my children. I have preteens and teenagers in there playing games all the time. Besides for ease and safety - I would like to extend the life of any pool cleaner I have.

Because of the investment of the automatic cleaners - it would be helpful to know about how long they last …

Thank you in advance for your help.

That really depends on a lot of factors. My current Dolphin is about 12 years old. The first power supply failed two years ago and I picked up a used replacement on ebay. That replacement started to go screwy at the end of last season (had to switch on and off repeatedly over 30-minute period to get it cycling). The cleaner itself started to limit its movements (perhaps related to the power supply) and it bypasses large sections of the pool and struggles up walls. I've owned it for the last years and have taken good care of it but I don't know what happened in the first 9 years.

The important thing is to treat it with care. you can pull it to the surface by its cord, but never yank it out of the pool that way. And make sure you store it on its side so the rollers don't get damaged. Otherwise its up to the pool gods. There's no reason you can't get a decade or more, but the best warranties are only 2-3 years. Some of the higher-end units tout modular repairability for easier home repairs/replacements of parts.

I'm currently trying to figure out what to get as a replacement, hopefully by this weekend. Update: going with Maytronics S300.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.