Hayward Main Drain Questions

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I'm getting the pool back in shape after opening green, trying to brush any possible place algae might hide. I was brushing the main drains and had a couple questions:
- While brushing, I knocked off the bumpers (in the link below). It indicates these are to keep auto cleaners from getting stuck. Is there any other safety purpose to these, for example to keep someone from covering the main drain? After knocking the first one off accidentally, I knocked the second one off to clean it. Algae liked to hide there.
Hayward Main Drain Bumper - SP1048AVH - INYOPools.com

- My main drains are in the link shown below. It appears that there is dirt, or worse, algae, in the cutouts where the water is pulled to the filter. Will the flow of the water clean this off, or does anyone have an idea of how to clean these, other than going down there after the water is warm enough to get in? I tried brushing them with a few different types of brushes, but nothing can get in there.
Hayward Vinyl/Fiberglass Main Drain 2 (2-Pack) - WG1049AVPAK2 - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.