Looking for a recommendation on the solar pool heater system for Burlingame, CA

Apr 20, 2016
Burlingame
Hello, I am looking for a recommendation on the solar pool heating system for a pool in Burlingame, CA. The pool is about 700 sq. feet. I received a few bids from a company that did my electrical solar panels and from my pool guy, both are in the $7500 range.

Solar company suggests using 7 (4x12.5) Uma panels http://cat.umasolar.com/media/catalog/product/pdf/sunstar/SunStar-Panel-Spec-Sheet.pdf
The pool guy suggests using 9 AquaSol 4ftx10ftx2in Heating Solar Panels.

Any suggestions on these or other systems considering the weather conditions in Burlingame, CA?

thanks,

Lenny.

If it were me I would keep shopping, I have never heard of Uma brand panels, and Aqua-Sol's are often sold as discount brand panels on ebay. The sizing sounds about right assuming good southern exposure roof mounting for your area. The price seems high, but you do live in a high cost of living area so that may effect things. Either way I would try to get some more bids, check out the big names like Fafco, Heliocol, and since you are in CA you may want to look into h2otsun.com , personally if I were going to hire the job out I would want an experienced pool solar installer to do the install, it is a completely different system than PV solar with lots of different installation concerns (allowing for thermal expansion vs rigid fixed mounting, etc.). This is not to say anything bad about the panels you have been quoted, just one is an unknown and the other may have reasons why it is often seen as a bargain brand.

I have 325 sq ft ( 6ea 4' x 12.5', 2ea 1' x x12.5')of helicol panels installed in 2011 and they were approx $3500, I already had the automation and was stubbed for solar so that is just the cost of the panels and installing on my solar rack. my pool is 800 sq ft rectangle with auto cover, right now the temp is 82 deg and will stay in the 80's until the end of October.

Northern exposure generally makes pool solar not practical, as a rule of thumb you need between 75-100% pool surface area of solar panels with southern exposure, 1.25 this that with western exposure, and 1.5 times that with eastern exposure (roof angle complicates those numbers some). however northern exposure with a roof as steep as 35 degrees likely means way too low of solar radiation to surface area to make it work at all my guess would be on the order of 300% surface area.

Ike

p.s. I don't know your pool layout, etc. but do you have space to consider a pergola with roof mounted solar like the one shown at Powerstrip Solar Pool Heaters from Hot Sun Industries of San Diego, California

Isaac, thanks for recommendation on the San Diego Hot Sun Industries. I talked to their President Ken. They seem to have an interesting product with a lot of flexibility for maximizing the space on the roof with the best exposure. I am especially interesting in this solution, since I already have 38 electrical solar panels taking the majority of the premium space. From the price standpoint, it's slightly more expensive (for a 600 sq.f collectors) that other quotes i got for about 400 sq. f. panels.

What really concerns me, however is that they are not really setup to install and support the project in SF Bay Area. They are interested in expanding into this area, but it all seems to be handing on some guy Mike that may or may not move here. Would love to hear from anyone about their experience with Hot Sun outside of San Diego area...

Northern exposure generally makes pool solar not practical, as a rule of thumb you need between 75-100% pool surface area of solar panels with southern exposure, 1.25 this that with western exposure, and 1.5 times that with eastern exposure (roof angle complicates those numbers some). however northern exposure with a roof as steep as 35 degrees likely means way too low of solar radiation to surface area to make it work at all my guess would be on the order of 300% surface area.

Ike

p.s. I don't know your pool layout, etc. but do you have space to consider a pergola with roof mounted solar like the one shown at Powerstrip Solar Pool Heaters from Hot Sun Industries of San Diego, California

I strongly considered going with the H2ot Sun flexible panels, but ended up opting for DIY install using Techno-Solis panels as the price was about 40% less. (note H2otSun sold Techno-Solis panels up until about 5 or so years ago in addition to their own flexible panels)

Isaac, thanks for recommendation on the San Diego Hot Sun Industries. I talked to their President Ken. They seem to have an interesting product with a lot of flexibility for maximizing the space on the roof with the best exposure. I am especially interesting in this solution, since I already have 38 electrical solar panels taking the majority of the premium space. From the price standpoint, it's slightly more expensive (for a 600 sq.f collectors) that other quotes i got for about 400 sq. f. panels.

What really concerns me, however is that they are not really setup to install and support the project in SF Bay Area. They are interested in expanding into this area, but it all seems to be handing on some guy Mike that may or may not move here. Would love to hear from anyone about their experience with Hot Sun outside of San Diego area...

I have had this product installed for 4 or 5 years now, very happy with it. I did the installation myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, I am looking for a recommendation on the solar pool heating system for a pool in Burlingame, CA. The pool is about 700 sq. feet. I received a few bids from a company that did my electrical solar panels and from my pool guy, both are in the $7500 range.

Solar company suggests using 7 (4x12.5) Uma panels http://cat.umasolar.com/media/catalog/product/pdf/sunstar/SunStar-Panel-Spec-Sheet.pdf
The pool guy suggests using 9 AquaSol 4ftx10ftx2in Heating Solar Panels.

Any suggestions on these or other systems considering the weather conditions in Burlingame, CA?

thanks,

Lenny.

The quote seems high to me BUT a huge consideration would be the layout of your roof? High slopes, clay terra cotta roofs could be a nightmare to install and would cost more to install. I did my own install several years ago for much, much less with panels and equipment bought off of ebay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.