Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chem Question- CrystalPlus

1. Back To Top    #1

Chem Question- CrystalPlus

I saw this product in Costco and it peaked my interest. It claims to reduce the need for chlorine up to 50%, balance PH and eliminate algae. Too good to be true? The reviews on the Costco site look great and seems like it could be a good addition to my pool upkeep? Any feedback? Link below:

http://m.costco.ca/Crystalplus-Chlor....10313565.html
    16K IG Vinyl, Hayward Pro Series Pump, Sand Filter, Turbo Cell TCell 15, HaywardSuper Pump and 2 more pumps for for Slide, Waterfall, Powerfall, Hayward TigerShark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chem Question- CrystalPlus

The first thing I saw was this warning

Warning: Crystalplus contains copper. Excessive levels of copper, copper use not approved by Health Canada or sudden changes of pH in water can cause stains on pool surfaces. This phenomenon can also be found in pools with cement plaster, marble silicone coatings and PVC.

I have spent countless hours helping people spend even more hours and lots of money trying to get copper out of their pools and remove stains. You don't want to be next!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

So I should toss this idea to the side along with the sneakers that are supposed to tone my body while eating pizza and washing it down with a 6 pack, just by wearing them? Understood - good catch and thanks for the input
    also I'm glad to have found this site!
    16K IG Vinyl, Hayward Pro Series Pump, Sand Filter, Turbo Cell TCell 15, HaywardSuper Pump and 2 more pumps for for Slide, Waterfall, Powerfall, Hayward TigerShark cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I am pretty disappointed that Costco carries the pool chemicals that they do. I would not recommend any of them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel one of the worst things about copper based pool chemicals (besides the staining and green hair it causes) is the fact that while copper is an effective algaecide, it does not effectively sanitize the water from bacteria and viruses which are invisible to the naked eye. With a conventionally Chlorinated pool we use the absence of algae as a visual sign that the Chlorine is at an effective level to make the water safe from most pathogens, but once you add metal ion systems, copper, etc. into the mix you may end up with clear water that is harbouring dangerous pathogens. Think of it like all those nature shows on tv warning against drinking water in the wild, even from clear running streams, just because the water is clear does not make it safe.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~