Pool Filter PSI all over the place

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
We have a brand new pool and I just noticed that the PSI seems to be all over the place depending on where I have the waterflow coming from, either Main Drain or Skimmer. Normal starting PSI is right at 25 and then needs backwashed at 35. If I set it to skimmer flow only, the PSI drops down to 22 PSI. If I move it to 50/50 for Main Drain/Skimmer, it goes to about 30. If I shut off skimmer completely, it goes to the normal PSI of 25. All of this is taking place after I just backwashed this weekend. I have checked the skimmer and everything is clean. The water level is about two inches from the top of the skimmer so no issues there. The pool is literally one week old and we have not had anything in the pool yet. My PB walked me through everything but this one has me stumped. Any thoughts?

Other than having pretty high pressures (but be a VERY large pump), that all seems normal. With both suction lines open, the head loss is lower and the pump can move more water raising the pressure.

NOTE: Do not wait for a 10psi rise to clean the filter. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Just pick a valve position to do this check.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.