Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for ideas on how to fix the coping rope light setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for ideas on how to fix the coping rope light setup

Hi All, I'm hoping you have some good suggestions on what material to use to reattach this rope lighting. I'm helping a friend with it. We got the pool all cleaned up last summer (it was a green swamp), and just opened it this year to pretty clean water. Very pleased. Had a blown out Jandy valve, and we got that replaced today. Now to tackle the lights.

The way they work, they are supposed to be attached just under the cement coping edge, all around the whole pool. It has come undone in a bunch of places, and they have tried everything to reattach it, with little luck. It always seems to come down again. Here's a pic of how it's just hanging, and another section where it's properly mounted (for the most part). We were still cleaning the pool when I took these, so forgive the leaves on the bottom!

Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Looking for ideas on how to fix the coping rope light setup

Butyl tape may work if you want to be able to remove it easily or clear rtv silicone if removing it is not a concern. You can still remove it with the silicone but removing all the silicone residue would be difficult if not impossible.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

I know that they have tried silicone, and it hasn't really worked well. Not sure why though...
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not all silicone is an adhesive. And now that there is likely silicone residue, not much is going to stick to it I don't think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So getting out what is there now, is obviously step one. But otherwise, sounds like silicone is the way to go...thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

What? I do not think silicone is the way to go. I think something more along the lines of liquid nails or a more permanent adhesive would work better although that could raise issues in the future if you needed to remove it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh, misunderstood some stuff and mixed up posters. Thanks for clarifying. So basically need something that can withstand waiter and has adhesive properties. I'd think somewhat plyable and won't shrink or crack or dryout (sunlight).

8. Back To Top    #8

Roof Hooks - Holiday Light Hooks - Roof Hooks, Gutter Hooks, Christmas Light Hooks

Okay so I don't know if anything like this would work. Is there any space you could slip the flat part into? I would look for some plastic ones but just found these fast to ask if they might work.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm assuming this is fiber optic. I would go to Home Depot and stand in the construction adhesives aisle for a while and read the various adhesive labels until you find one that says both concrete and plastic. Basically some form of liquid nails. There are different brands all over the US so its a matter of going in and reading the labels to find one that will work for you.

I just want to point out that the rope LED lighting is not permitted anywhere in the US to my knowledge. I know of no rope lighting that is he 2014 NEC permits low voltage lighting listed for use inside a pool. I guess one could argue its outside the pool, but I have my doubts.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the tips and ideas. Please keep them coming. I have no idea about the origin on the light, just that it was there when the current owner's bought the house. And it must have been put in when the pool was done, because it goes under the cement patio coping to a control box about 10' away from the pool. Odd for sure. I'm sure it looks cool when it's all properly mounted though. I was tempted to say just rip it out. There are other lights in the pool too, in the walls, but not sure if they work. If not, I'm sure they could be fixed.