Bought house with pool

Apr 19, 2016
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just bought a house with a 24ft round pool. A friend suggested and offered to help drain and refill the pool. I am concerned about doing this as many things I have read discourage draining and refilling the pool because you risk riping your liner. The pool has not been opened in at least18 months and was never properly closed. The water is completely green and contains debris. I even saw a frog swimming in the pool. Is draining the pool the proper course of action?

I was told to use a bleach solution to clean the walls and floor of the pool, is this the correct or should I just use soap and water?

I also had a pool company look at the pool, but I don't trust their recommendation as thenpump appears to work and they said I needed to replace it just because it was never closed properly. The water currently is just below the skimmer, so at this point we would need to add water to see if it goes through the pump and sand filter.

This is my first exposure to maintaining a pool, I bought a test strip kit to test the water but have no idea where to start. All the chemicals can also make it confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First off, welcome once again to TFP! I know pool care can be "scary," but with some reading you'll get it. Promise! Stick with us and we'll guide you along. If you don't understand something or we're going too fast, speak up! We'll gladly help you out more.

Second, green water doesn't require a drain/refil. There are hundreds of pools here that started all sorts of nasty all cleaned with chlorine. As you feared, draining your pool does come with the risk that you may tear the liner. A SLAM Process is your next step. Take a look at the SLAM Process article and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and see if you have any questions. We'll move onto the next step from there.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As Lee said, we can get you straightened out.

You found us, so that passed the first step :goodjob:
The next step is to order one of the Recommended Test Kits. I HIGHLY suggest you get the TF-100 with the XL option since we know you need to SLAM.

While waiting for the test kit to arrive, Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

These may help your understand what you need to do to clear it up:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Hi! First thing you are going to need is a good FAS/DPD test kit, such as a Taylor K2006 or the TF100 . This kit will allow you to test the higher levels of chlorine you are going to need to clear your pool. Test strips are not very reliable and they give too broad a range to be useful in determining how much of a chemical you should add.

Usually you don't need to drain and refill to clean up a dirty pool. Did the former owners leave any pool equipment like a vacuum or a pool rake? A pool rake has a net on it and you use it to scoop up debris from the bottom of the pool. Scoop out as much debris as you can, then vacuum the pool. Once you think you have all the debris out you can start the SLAM process to clear up the water.

You will need to go ahead and top off the pool so that the water is at least half way up the skimmer opening. Make sure all the plumbing is connected securely any valves leading into and out of the pump and filter are open. If you would like to post a picture of your pool and equipment pad we could give a little more detailed advice to get you up and running.

To help you understand the methods we teach and a little basic pool chemistry here are a couple of handy links:

PoolMath To help determine chemical needs based on test results.

ABCs of pool water chemistry

Best wishes for you and your new pool!

Welcome! :wave:

My advice: run that pump and ensure it works, because without a working pump, you're out of luck. What the pool guys were saying could be true, strange to say... if your pump and filter were full of water and you had a freeze over the winter, things could be damaged inside from the ice expansion.

If the thing looks like a swamp, then draining it down to the last foot in the shallow end will simplify things. A pool leaf rake is your friend. So is Motrin.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Some Inspiration: Recovering my old inspirational links

Thanks all for the help. At first I wasn't too pressured to get this pool up and running andthe last week I have made sime good progress. pH, Alkalinity, and hardness are all within the proper ranges. I have been working with a pool store to make sure chemical compositions are correct. I shocked the pool 24 hours ago for the second time. The water is still green although lighter in color and almost cloudy looking. As this is my first time owning a pool and the pool is at least a few years old. I am unsure if I'm not being patient enough of if I possibly have a filter issue (hayward sand filter). I was reading through the documentation you have provided and realized I haven't been brushing or vacuuming the pool. So maybe thay is the issue? Do you have recommendations of brushes or vacuums that are reasonably priced?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.