1.5" or 2"

Mar 29, 2016
Chicago,IL
Well after weeks(it seems longer) they finally got the pool installed and its filling as we speak. I had already done the electric and seems like the return/skimmer is farther away then I feel it should of been located. I bought 9' hoses to help but the return is stretched out pretty good and im not okay with it. I am
gonna go ahead and just hard pipe it as I have worked with schedule 40 enough to know a thing or 2. I am curious if I should go with 2" though as most seem to mention it. It's only gonna be about 12-15' of pipe. it slopes down about a foot in its travel towards the pool. I just don't want to bog down my pump by oversizing the pipe either. I will obviously have some means of disconnect on the pump side but is it recommended on the pool side also?

You can not bog down a pump by using a bigger pipe, that actually lowers the head loss and allows for the pump to move more water.

I might suggest 2" on the suction line and 1.5" on the return side.

Unless you are burying it, I might make it removable on both ends so you can ensure all the water is out for the winter.

I was planning on burying it so it wasn't a trip hazard. I could also just make a small trench to put it in as the area will all be river Rock and just put level with that. If it's a better idea to have it removed for winter I will go that route

You can bury it, just want to make sure you blow it out well for the winter since at the pool sounds like the low point. Or you could add a Tee near the low point and add hose bibs or some valve in an irrigation box that would allow you to drain the water out of the pipe before winter.

Well I am just not sure the compressor can add the air fast enough to force all the water out ... but, I live in AZ and have never closed a pool or dealt with freezing in the pipes ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.