Problems with vinyl

Apr 19, 2016
Tupelo
I have a 3 year old vinyl salt water pool. I have not had any chemistry issues. However, in the past year, I have spent a ton of money trying to get it to stop leaking. One person brought a hydrophone and told me there are hundreds of tiny holes in the bottom. The best I can deduct is that the pool crete was improperly finished. Now there are 1000's of tiny pebbles protruding through the liner floor. I can see where the color has disappeared from the tops of them. My question is regarding guinite. Is it possible to have this liner pulled out and convert the existing pool to guinite?

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately, changing to a gunite pool is much more difficult than it might seem. The only part that can be reused is the hole.

Do you use a pool cleaner? Even pebbles under the liner shouldn't do much to the liner except in the shallow end.

There was once a similar problem with the liner on my pool many years ago, there had been some welding work going on near it on the metal structure of my pool building and lots of small iron shavings found their way into the water, they would then rust, and cause little pin holes to form in the liner. I patched numerous ones with small thumbnail size patches using scuba gear. By chance have you had any metal work, metal grinding etc. going on where the shavings could have blown into the pool?

You probably need to pull that liner and see what is really going on under the pool. The surface should have been firm and smooth before they placed the liner. Check and make sure the pool floor is in good shape and if it is not, I would check with the builder to see if it is still under warranty. Three years is way too soon for a floor or liner to fail. You may also want to look into the possibility of getting a pad for the floor of the pool when you replace your liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.