Top rail separating from pool wall

Apr 6, 2015
Brunswick/Ohio
This is my third year with an above ground pool...just got done opening and I noticed there is a gap between the pool wall and the top rail in only one section of the pool...what would cause this and what can I do to fix it..any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated uploadfromtaptalk1461107765187.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Could have been frost heave over the winter. It can be fixed but you'll have to take the top rails off to do it.

The top rails in that section should come off. At every post you will have a cap where the rails meet. The caps come off first to expose the screws to the rails. Once you get them off, you should be able to push that stabilizer bar back down onto the wall. If it doesn't go down easily, something more may have moved. If that doesn't work, take pictures of that whole post from top to bottom so we can possibly see what's going on.

So I took the rails off that section... It seems like the whole post has risen... Can't figure a way to get it down... I could push the rail down around the rim of pool but apparently it's supposed to sit on the post too... I'm posting two pics... One is the way it's supposed to sit and the other is how my problem one sits

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would also look at the wall........has it dropped? Did water come out over the winter and wash out some of the dirt under the wall? I just want to make sure you look at every possibility.

Do some measureing and looking thinking both ways then get back with us about what you think and why.

Hugs :(

Kim :cat:

I would go to three other areas.......measure the legs and wall from the ground up. See what you find. I am hoping that will tell the story of what happened. We can go from there.

Kim (I have an area where two of my legs and the wall between them sank just a little due to some sand wash out)

Kim

My problem with that is that my pool is partially buried so I would not be able to get an accurate measurement... But at this point I can only assume that one of two things happened... Either frost heave pushed the post up...or the wall sank... In either case do I need to be concerned with the structural integrity of the pool? As much as I would like to fix it for aesthetic reasons my bigger concern is whether it's a safety issue

Rock and hard place with the measurement for sure! To me the fact it is halfway buried will be on the good side for you as the ground will help support the walls on the outside and the water will from the inside.

I would get the top rail down where it should be and see if there is any way you can rig something up to help the top cap stay on. It might take long screws but I am sure there is a way.

Kim

What do u think about pulling the post out of the ground and cutting off the bottom a little bit to make it fit?...wouldnt have to cut that much... Or is that just asking for more trouble?... The problem with rigging the top cap to fit is then it won't cover up edge of top channel inside the pool

If you are able to try digging down to the bottom of the post and seeing if you can set it deeper to make everything fit again. Use great care while doing this....do not hit the pool and when putting the dirt back in compact it good every 2 or so inches.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.