Adding DE to backwashed filter when opening pool

NJ-Bob

Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bridgewater, NJ
Hi all, for reasons I won't go into, I had to close my pool last fall after I had backwashed but before I had a chance to clean my filters and recharge (Hayward 6020). So now I have to add DE but want to avoid clogging the filter with algae or other scum that has accumulated. I am planning on 1) manually skimming, 2) running the system in recirculate with the main drain closed so I can add chlorine and any other necessary chemicals to eliminate algae (if there is any), and then 3) recharging the filter with DE slurry through the closest skimmer.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Reasonable to a point yes. Especially at first while you try to backwash the majority of junk to waste. Eventually though, you will need to switch to filter and main drain as you can expect any algae in the pool is certainly hiding in those places as well. At some point during your SLAM, chlorinated water will need to run through those areas 24/7 just like the rest of the pool to kill the algae. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Hi all, for reasons I won't go into, I had to close my pool last fall after I had backwashed but before I had a chance to clean my filters and recharge (Hayward 6020). So now I have to add DE but want to avoid clogging the filter with algae or other scum that has accumulated. I am planning on 1) manually skimming, 2) running the system in recirculate with the main drain closed so I can add chlorine and any other necessary chemicals to eliminate algae (if there is any), 2.5 Vacuum to waste to get rid of all the settled sludge and then 3) recharging the filter with DE slurry through the closest skimmer.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
I'd add step 2½. I'm assuming you plumbed in a multiport since you plan to use Recirculate.

And once the fresh load of DE strains out what's left, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a full teardown and clean during the next backwash.

:goodpost:

That is exactly what I was going to say!!!

Make it a habit for a full tear down every spring. I just did mine last week and it was a bigger mess that I expected since I had recently done what I thought was a VERY thorough backwashing. There was still so much DE packed in there and my grids were scaled up requiring a good pressure washing.

The system already had a multiport when I bought the house. (Guess I should have that in my signature) I should have included before step 1 that I would manually cleaning the filters before using filter mode. That raises another question; I think I read that the Recirculate setting just returns the water through the valve back to the pool and totally bypasses the filter. So I could be soaking the filters, if needed, while I am recirculating, right?

So if I am doing that now, I shouldn't need to do a tear down and clean for the next backwash, correct? (Also, the filters were new as of beginning of 2015.)

Reasonable to a point yes. Especially at first while you try to backwash the majority of junk to waste. Eventually though, you will need to switch to filter and main drain as you can expect any algae in the pool is certainly hiding in those places as well. At some point during your SLAM, chlorinated water will need to run through those areas 24/7 just like the rest of the pool to kill the algae. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply. You lost me on the "backwash the majority of junk to waste" part. I had backwashed last fall and then was not able to clean the filters and recharge with DE before having to close the pool. So the filters should be pretty clear of DE. They were new as of beginning of 2015 and I only had to backwash and recharge once last year.

So your point is to make sure I continue the filter phase 24 hours after I open the main drain and not count the initial chlorine treatment time as part of that 24-hour cycle. Good point. I might not have thought of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it better to do the tear down in the spring than the fall? I had intended to do that last fall but circumstances prevented it.

Yes recirculate completely bypasses the filters so you can have the filter taking apart while you are running in recirculation. Fall or spring does not matter for the tear-down but I would highly suggest doing it once a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.