Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to backwashed filter when opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to backwashed filter when opening pool

Hi all, for reasons I won't go into, I had to close my pool last fall after I had backwashed but before I had a chance to clean my filters and recharge (Hayward 6020). So now I have to add DE but want to avoid clogging the filter with algae or other scum that has accumulated. I am planning on 1) manually skimming, 2) running the system in recirculate with the main drain closed so I can add chlorine and any other necessary chemicals to eliminate algae (if there is any), and then 3) recharging the filter with DE slurry through the closest skimmer.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
    Irregular shaped vinyl pool - about 22K
    Hayward DE 6020 filter, Hayward Tri-Chlor Feeder
    Aqua Comfort Heat Pump Heater
    Polaris 380
    Taylor K-2006; FAS/DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to backwashed filter when opening pool

Reasonable to a point yes. Especially at first while you try to backwash the majority of junk to waste. Eventually though, you will need to switch to filter and main drain as you can expect any algae in the pool is certainly hiding in those places as well. At some point during your SLAM, chlorinated water will need to run through those areas 24/7 just like the rest of the pool to kill the algae. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-Bob View Post
    Hi all, for reasons I won't go into, I had to close my pool last fall after I had backwashed but before I had a chance to clean my filters and recharge (Hayward 6020). So now I have to add DE but want to avoid clogging the filter with algae or other scum that has accumulated. I am planning on 1) manually skimming, 2) running the system in recirculate with the main drain closed so I can add chlorine and any other necessary chemicals to eliminate algae (if there is any), 2.5 Vacuum to waste to get rid of all the settled sludge and then 3) recharging the filter with DE slurry through the closest skimmer.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
    I'd add step 2. I'm assuming you plumbed in a multiport since you plan to use Recirculate.

And once the fresh load of DE strains out what's left, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a full teardown and clean during the next backwash.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is exactly what I was going to say!!!

Make it a habit for a full tear down every spring. I just did mine last week and it was a bigger mess that I expected since I had recently done what I thought was a VERY thorough backwashing. There was still so much DE packed in there and my grids were scaled up requiring a good pressure washing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The system already had a multiport when I bought the house. (Guess I should have that in my signature) I should have included before step 1 that I would manually cleaning the filters before using filter mode. That raises another question; I think I read that the Recirculate setting just returns the water through the valve back to the pool and totally bypasses the filter. So I could be soaking the filters, if needed, while I am recirculating, right?

So if I am doing that now, I shouldn't need to do a tear down and clean for the next backwash, correct? (Also, the filters were new as of beginning of 2015.)
    Polaris 380

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Reasonable to a point yes. Especially at first while you try to backwash the majority of junk to waste. Eventually though, you will need to switch to filter and main drain as you can expect any algae in the pool is certainly hiding in those places as well. At some point during your SLAM, chlorinated water will need to run through those areas 24/7 just like the rest of the pool to kill the algae. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for the reply. You lost me on the "backwash the majority of junk to waste" part. I had backwashed last fall and then was not able to clean the filters and recharge with DE before having to close the pool. So the filters should be pretty clear of DE. They were new as of beginning of 2015 and I only had to backwash and recharge once last year.

So your point is to make sure I continue the filter phase 24 hours after I open the main drain and not count the initial chlorine treatment time as part of that 24-hour cycle. Good point. I might not have thought of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it better to do the tear down in the spring than the fall? I had intended to do that last fall but circumstances prevented it.
    Polaris 380

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes recirculate completely bypasses the filters so you can have the filter taking apart while you are running in recirculation. Fall or spring does not matter for the tear-down but I would highly suggest doing it once a year.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!