Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First opening

I closed my Pool last year in late October (when the water temperature was well below 60 degrees) and opened it last week (pool temperature was again below 60 degrees). I had a LOOP LOC Mesh cover put on and followed all the procedures of Pool School. When it was opened on Friday, my FC was zero and I had a pool full of leaves. I cleaned the leaves, added a lot of Bleach, and my pool was looking good in 2 days.

My question is whether it is normal to have so many leaves get under the cover. Was the cover not as tight as it could have been, or is it just not possible to keep out the leaves? Picture of cover below.IMG_2773.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First opening

That's a fantastic looking set-up! Those are some very sneaky leaves.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just think how many leaves there would be in there without the cover! BUT how in the world did they get in there???? That thing looks tight as a drum!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How tight is the cover in the grotto?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    How tight is the cover in the grotto?
    I thought everything was tight but I didn't inspect inside the grotto. The company that opened it was the same one that put it in and they said it was the wind. If an exorbitant amount of leaves is not the norm that other people experience ( that's why I asked the question) then maybe there was a tiny opening somewhere. Fortunately, my pool was looking good but I suspect all those leaves consumed my FC. And cleaning those leaves was a big pain. I used my Polaris a lot.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

6. Back To Top    #6

I would just think that it would be tough to get a tight seal in there. Then the grotto acts like a collection basket for debris... I have a different type of cover and there is a small space where winds can push stuff into the pool. I get about 20 leaves in the pool over the winter.