Gvs

Apr 18, 2016
San Antonio
Hi All sailing on my own now after a year with a pool company! I am hoping with your help to carry on with DIY!

I am recovering from the rain we had in San Antonio, all the debris is out, but the pool had a lot of groundwater in it! My specs last night were TA 100, CC 3.0, PH 7.5, TH 370, My CYA before this was 200 plus; I have flushed and drained and refilled probably 6 inches in the last 24 hours. The pool is not bright a bit Cloudy'ish but clearing. I know I need to reduce my CYA, despite most pool companies here saying; not to worry if I don't have any Algae problems, which I haven't up to now. I am a little loathe to do a 60% swap as suggested by the calculator, can I do this in 6 x 10% water swaps? I have also read about the Bio Active powder but there are a couple of scary stories about massive ammonia hikes that are really difficult to get rid of! I would consider a RO filter if there was a mobile system in San Antonio but cant seem to find one! Usually the pool is clear & sparkling bright with no issues! Any advice would be really helpful.

Hey fellow local. I wouldn't try any pool store products to reduce CYA. Simply plan for water exchanges. More rain in our forecast, so let as much as you can flow into that pool and backwash, etc to help exchange it. Are you testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006? That would be good to know and perhaps add to your sig later so you don't get asked every time you post. :) The rains will help with your CH (hardness) as well.

Unfortunately you have a very high CC which is indicative of heavy organic content. That coupled wit the cloudiness indicates you have an algae bloom in progress. If you ever planned on doing a water exchange, now would be the time - even in stages. No sense adding chemicals or trying to perform a "SLAM" only to dump water. It would be advised to reduce CYA first, and confirm for us how you derived that number so we can give you a good plan ahead. Definitely manageable, but only with good numbers.

Let us know, and great to have you with us Garry.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
can I do this in 6 x 10% water swaps?
Well, do it in two 30's instead if 60 makes you uncomfortable. 6-10's will not be very efficient but two 30 will be almost like one 60 (but not quite).

Don't waste your money on CYA reducer....it's a bogus product.

Hi All thank you for your advice so far, I thought I had a handle on it but didn't account for the flooding!! I have to admit to another mistake when I said CC in my post I actually meant TC, finger error! My apologies the actual tests for the past 3 days are 19th TC 3, PH 7.5, TH 370, TA 100, 20th TC 5, ph 7.0, TH 350, TA 100 21st TC 7, PH 7.5, TH 350.
The water is clearing and I think the old pool company came around yesterday and added a cl tablet, hence the increase, I want to use liquid Cl from now on!
I am in the process of an inefficient refill and drain sorry water bill! So any advice would be helpful
Re the test kit I purchased mine from walmart it is a HTH 6 way kit, I took it into my local pool shop and asked about and he said it was fine? I did ask about the test reagent for the free Cl and he said there isn't one you just wait for the Cl test to see if gets darker? The kit looks almost identical to the pictures of the Taylor testing kits? I really don't know the difference, more apologies.
One unusual thing is that when I tested the Hardness the TH indicator reagent turned my sample yellow, at around 18 (180) it turned lilac purple and at 35 drops (350) turned an aqua blue?
I have put a picture of the test kit on my page!
Once again many thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave will do that :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Pat, many thanks I am trying the 2 x 30s swap I made a mist saying CC I meant TC!! sorry The CYA was tested by me and leslies Pool supplies at 150 plus, dumping water as we speak!

After a bit of googling I am going to buy a Taylor kit apparently better reagents? is this the one? TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD. Why do pool shops tell you stuff that is patently wrong?

Garry, the Wal-Mart HTH kit is okay for "some" tests like pH, TA, and possibly CH. I don't recall where HTH gets their reagents from. I can tell you though that the TF-100 (link below) uses all original Taylor reagents, just in larger quantities which is why it's typically considered a better kit for the money. Also from the same web site you can order just the FAD-DPD (powder and drop) reagents we always speak of here to test FC and CC accurately and at higher levels. There's nothing better in my mind for those tests. You can even order just the CYA test portion if you like. The pool stores simply supports their industry, and unfortunately many of us paid their electric bill many times over. Remember, these are the same stores that hand you a print-out saying you need more chlorine and CYA, push tabs and bags-of-shock on you (also Pool Perfect, etc), then tell you later you need to drain your pool because your CYA is tool high. :brickwall: Once you test on your own, you'll never go back to those stores except for perhaps a toy or piece of equipment.

If you order from TFTestkits.com, make sure you also order a "Speed Stir" to mix everything. :stirpot:

replaced around 2 feet of water maybe a bit more results are TC around 6 TA 150, TH 180, PH 7.2 and CYA test down to around 120 ish a drop but still more to go, thanks for the help so far, btw pool is almost sparkling, no smells no green etc

replaced around 2 feet of water maybe a bit more results are TC around 6 TA 150, TH 180, PH 7.2 and CYA test down to around 120 ish a drop but still more to go, thanks for the help so far, btw pool is almost sparkling, no smells no green etc shall i run the pump on high overnight to thoroughly mix everything? Or is there any truth in CYA moving to the top of the pool if you take the pool out of service and turn off the pump entirely?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok this morning pool is almost back to normal clarity and color wise, no Chlorine smells, looking good so far. Test results are a little confusing TC about the same 6, PH is up to 7.5, TH is back to 320 but my TA is still high (er) at 170!
Should I look to add some muriatic acid 39 oz according to the calculator to drop the PH or is there the possibility that my unknown Chlorine levels, poss high due to the CYA around 100 -120 have influenced the TA test? I don't have any neutralizer! Or, shall I wait to see what my Taylor test kit results are ? Hopefully arriving Monday, then i should also be able to do the acid requirement test?

- - - Updated - - -

Had a quick dip last night swam splashed as much as a 5 year old and ran the spajets; TCL this morning is 5, PH is 7.5-6 TA is 140 didn't bother with TH. Can someone explain to me the CY half and half test? I tried half tapwater and half pool water and came out with 75 which suggests I still have 150 ppm CYA? but when i did the full pool test it was around 110 120. Did I do something wrong 3.5 ml is really hard to estimate! or does San Antonio tap water have CYA? Dropped another 6 inches of water this morning and refilled pool, temp 75 degrees.

Had a quick dip last night swam splashed as much as a 5 year old and ran the spajets; TCL this morning is 5, PH is 7.5-6 TA is 140 didn't bother with TH. Can someone explain to me the CY half and half test? I tried half tapwater and half pool water and came out with 75 which suggests I still have 150 ppm CYA? but when i did the full pool test it was around 110 120. Did I do something wrong 3.5 ml is really hard to estimate! or does San Antonio tap water have CYA? Dropped another 6 inches of water this morning and refilled pool, temp 75 degrees.
Mix a larger quantity of water and then use the 50-50 solution to measure out the 7 ml. Use kitchen measuring cups if you have to. 1/4 cup tap water, 1/4 cup pool water in a clean container, swirl to mix, then pour that into the mixing bottle and add the CYA reagent. Take your readings and then double the result.

Tap water has no CYA.

Garry, here is the CYA dilution method for those who suspect their CYA is over 100:
CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Hi guys my Ta is 170 and PH up to 7.8, i have been aerating my pool by having the spa jets on then recirculating the spa back into the pool, should I look to ad MA to reduce it or wait until my taylor kit arrives>? thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.