Is it possible to heat 55,000 gallons of water with solar? I'd really like to try!

Apr 19, 2016
Logan, UT
I have a very large amount of water (55,000 gallons) that needs to be heated. Is it remotely possible to use solar panels to heat it? It does have a cover, so it shouldn't lose too much heat. We used to have a gas furnace, but it broke last year and the water is not likely to get to swimming temperature any time soon. It's around 45 degrees Fahrenheit right now. I wanted to try to build my own solar panels, but I don't have the knowledge or time to do it. Does anyone know a pre-made system that is affordable that would be able to support such a large volume of water? I know I'd need a lot of panels, but is there a limit as to how much water can actually be heated that way? Thank you!

Can it be done, yes, can it be done practically, that is another question. Common plastic unglazed pool solar panels are only good fo about a 20-25 degree F practical temperature difference, more than that and you need glazed panels, or evacuated tube panels. And while I know it is against common sense for a given number of BTU transferred the most efficient designs are the common unglazed panels if your temperature range is appropriate. Remember the temperature we are talking about is average daytime temperature. So if you want the water to be 90 degrees with unglazed panels, you really need to have a daytime temperature when the sun is shining over about 65 degrees, along with a large enough set of panels, typically I would say around 100% of your pool surface area for your climate. If you have daytime temperatures lower than 65 degrees, then you would likely a glazed panel or evacuated tube system, which would likely need to be at least 150-200% of the size of your pool's surface area. These could be good down to about freezing, for below freezing temperatures things get complicated with antifreeze circulation systems, heat exchangers, etc.

I'm not a solar guy, but I seem to remember that the panels should be twice your pool size (800x2= 1600 sq ft of panels). Do you have room for that?

If so, and you use the cover (that'll be a PITA in that big pool) then I think the answer is yes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.