Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
You have no doubt seen several posts regarding the 8 to 20 inches of rain we got in Houston on Sunday and Monday. I fared better than many, in that I only had a thin layer of dirt that I cleaned up with my Dolphin and my net. Chemistry is a little different issue. Yesterday, my chlorine was at 1, and pH at 8.2. I put in a gallon of clorox. This afternoon, my FC was at 8.5 and CC at 0.5. pH was at 7.5. I think what happened is that I tested rain water that had not thoroughly mixed with the pool water, giving me suspect results. Today seems like better numbers.

I went ahead and tested TA and CH. TA is 60, down from 80. CH is 150, down from 225. My temptation is to let the water circulate until the weekend, and see how everything washes out. If those numbers stick, should there be any concern?

You have no doubt seen several posts regarding the 8 to 20 inches of rain we got in Houston on Sunday and Monday. I fared better than many, in that I only had a thin layer of dirt that I cleaned up with my Dolphin and my net. Chemistry is a little different issue. Yesterday, my chlorine was at 1, and pH at 8.2. I put in a gallon of clorox. This afternoon, my FC was at 8.5 and CC at 0.5. pH was at 7.5. I think what happened is that I tested rain water that had not thoroughly mixed with the pool water, giving me suspect results. Today seems like better numbers.

I went ahead and tested TA and CH. TA is 60, down from 80. CH is 150, down from 225. My temptation is to let the water circulate until the weekend, and see how everything washes out. If those numbers stick, should there be any concern?
Yes. Your CSI is probably quite negative, low enough to etch plaster.

You need to raise the CH a bit. Don't forget that if everything else went down by 1/3, so did your CYA. I think the TA will be okay and you already have pH and FC under control.

Thanks, Richard. The funny thing about the CYA is that I already had a sockful in there while the storm was ongoing. Of course, it likely just floated out the overflow along with my calcium. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.