To Drain & Fill or go Another Season

BassTrix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
Chandler/AZ
Currently, my CH is at 800. Last year at this time, CH was 500. The last time I did a D&RF was 2 years ago. Fill water CH ranges from 170-200. It appears that I'm picking up about 300ppm/yr.

Today's numbers are:

FC: 5.0
CC: 0
pH: 7.97 (dropped to 7.5 just after test)
TA: 80 (should drop to ~65 after MA)
CH: 800
CYA: 75
Salt: 5400
Borates: 50
Temp: 70
CSI: .17 (should drop to -.32 after MA)

What do the experts recommend?

Thanks,
BT

I ran a full season with the pool over 1000 CH, so it can be done. With a SWG you are going to have to keep a low TA and regulate the pH very carefully to keep the CSI near zero or very slightly negative. Once my CH got above 1200 it felt like walking a tightrope.

To piggyback on this - what causes BassTrix's CH to jump about 300ppm/year? I live in the same area and refilled my pool water with fill water that reads 175 ppm CH. How can you avoid this number getting out of hand?

The high rate of evaporation causes the CH rise. The water goes away but the calcium is left behind. Keeping a pool covered would help, but other than that, it's just one of the joys of living in a desert.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.