Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Drain & Fill or go Another Season

1. Back To Top    #1

To Drain & Fill or go Another Season

Currently, my CH is at 800. Last year at this time, CH was 500. The last time I did a D&RF was 2 years ago. Fill water CH ranges from 170-200. It appears that I'm picking up about 300ppm/yr.

Today's numbers are:

FC: 5.0
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.97 (dropped to 7.5 just after test)
    TA: 80 (should drop to ~65 after MA)
    CH: 800
    CYA: 75
    Salt: 5400
    Borates: 50
    Temp: 70
    CSI: .17 (should drop to -.32 after MA)

What do the experts recommend?

Thanks,
    BT
    15k Pebble Tec (2002), Ecomatic ESC-16 SWG
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter Model CC420P (150GPM/420sqft/50psi)
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pumps x3, AO Smith 1 HP single-speed motors x3,
    Paramount IFCS, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit w/SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Drain & Fill or go Another Season

If you can do it without incurring penalties, do it. Above 800 CH you don't get a lot of wiggle room to keep CSI in the safe zone. I was really hoping this El Nino year would pan out so I could drain my pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I ran a full season with the pool over 1000 CH, so it can be done. With a SWG you are going to have to keep a low TA and regulate the pH very carefully to keep the CSI near zero or very slightly negative. Once my CH got above 1200 it felt like walking a tightrope.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You guys are all masterful CH tightrope walkers. Impressive!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I need. Going to refill.
    15k Pebble Tec (2002), Ecomatic ESC-16 SWG
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter Model CC420P (150GPM/420sqft/50psi)
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pumps x3, AO Smith 1 HP single-speed motors x3,
    Paramount IFCS, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit w/SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

To piggyback on this - what causes BassTrix's CH to jump about 300ppm/year? I live in the same area and refilled my pool water with fill water that reads 175 ppm CH. How can you avoid this number getting out of hand?
    Phoenix, AZ | 30,000 Gallon Pebble-tec pool + attached spa | Hayward cartridge filter | Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump | In-ground pop-outs | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil1 View Post
    To piggyback on this - what causes BassTrix's CH to jump about 300ppm/year? I live in the same area and refilled my pool water with fill water that reads 175 ppm CH. How can you avoid this number getting out of hand?
    The high rate of evaporation causes the CH rise. The water goes away but the calcium is left behind. Keeping a pool covered would help, but other than that, it's just one of the joys of living in a desert.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    The high rate of evaporation causes the CH rise. The water goes away but the calcium is left behind. Keeping a pool covered would help, but other than that, it's just one of the joys of living in a desert.

Ahhhh that makes a lot of sense. I was worried about my CH being lower than recommended levels, but it looks like there's nowhere for it to go but up!
    Phoenix, AZ | 30,000 Gallon Pebble-tec pool + attached spa | Hayward cartridge filter | Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump | In-ground pop-outs | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit