Oil slick in pool after having used Magic Lube on O-ring for Polaris quick disconnect

bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers,
I recently put some Magic Lube on the O-ring of the quick disconnect for my Polaris 280 hose (part #44 in Polaris 280 Hose Parts; Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner Exploded Parts Diagram

I did this to make it easier to connect/disconnect the hose from the universal wall fitting. After I did this, I saw a small oil slick on the pool water. Yesterday, I disconnected/reconnected it and again saw a small oil slick. Was this okay to use Magic Lube on this part? Did I contaminate the water? The Magic Lube says it is waterproof, non-toxic, environmentally safe, so I assumed it would be okay. Thanks for any help.

B

I use Magic Lube all the time. A Skum bug in the skimmer is the bomb though. My daughter put a combo of olive and coconut oil in her hair and I came home from work one day and my pool had a really bad oil slick. I popped my Skum bug in and it was gone by the next day.

Didn't know there was such a thing. So, are you saying then that it was okay to use Magic Lube on that part that was/is exposed/submerged in pool water?

Thanks for the replies. And, I too added that Scumbug to my Amazon wish list. Never new about it either.

The Magic Lube has made it a little easier to connect/disconnect my Polaris Quick Connect at the wall.

I've used the scum balls in my hot tub skimmer. Good for trapping the lotions and oils a bit... and don't look as creepy! ;)

Also, when lubricating o-rings in general, you don't need to over due it. A very thin coat is all you're looking for. Whenever I do it, I take the o-ring off of it's fitting the wipe it with a paper towel or cloth towel. Then I put on nitrile or latex gloves and put a small dab (pea size or less) on one finger tip. Touch the dab to a few spots on the o-ring then work the o-ring around the whole diameter with my fingers to spread the lube evenly. The o-ring should be glossy but no visible globs or streaks of lubricant.

Ok Joel. Tx. Glossy, well after I lubed the o-ring in the quick connect had some it had some definite residual lube. Now I see and hear a little goes a long way ��

Tx again Joel.

Yesterday, I cleaned my pool filters. I followed your steps to lube the o-ring for my filter housing drain plug, large gasket under the filter housing lid, and also my strainer cover lid. Worked quite well, and only used a small amount. I was not able to remove the o-ring from my strainer cover lid though on my Hayward MaxFlo SP2302 VSP. So, I just used a few small dabs and worked it around the o-ring with it in place. I guess I could have pryed it out with a screwdriver or something, but I didn't want to risk damaging it or the basket lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.