Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just found this site and have question about opening a small pool this year.

1. Back To Top    #1

Just found this site and have question about opening a small pool this year.

Hello, this is our 4th year with a small intex pool. In the beginning we actually just threw away the pool at the end of the year. Last year we got a 12x30" intex pool with metal frame instead of the soft ones. I have always used the BBB method and have had good results. Last year my daughter turned our hose on and let the water overflow in the pool for hours. We have a well and by the time we noticed it the water was brown. It had pulled up tons of sediment. We had kept one of the old pumps from the older pools and my hubby rigged up the pool with 2 filters to try to clear it up. It took me about 3 weeks of vacuuming and changing the filter almost every other day to get it mostly clear. Finally it was mostly clear and all that was left after swimming in it we'd get a tiny bit that would settle down at the bottom but not enough that kept us out of the pool. I had planned on taking it down and getting a new one this year but my father had a surgery from colon cancer and almost died on the table and I spent weeks and weeks with him caring etc... So the pool stayed. My hubby drained it at some point but never did anything else with it. We got tons of snow etc. and rain and the pool is about 1/2 full right now...still standing much to my surprise. I got to thinking that instead of getting a new one maybe I could try to salvage this one???? Am I crazy? Would this be possible if I bought a better pump/filter? I don't think the pump that came with it would be able to do anything to it and the one pump did break at the end of the summer so I couldn't do the double pump thing again. If this would be possible what pump should I look at getting? I know you can get one that can be too strong but the ones that come with these little pools are pretty pathetic. I figured if I could get a descent pump and shock it and then start vacuuming it I may have a chance. What do you all think? Yah or nah? and if yah...what intex pump would you suggest for the 12x30" pool that would be strong enough to get it clean?

TIA!!!
    Tanya
    Greencastle, PA (PA/MD border)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just found this site and have question about opening a small pool this year.

Tanya, many folks have upgraded their Intex pools with a modest pump/filter (even SWG) all-in-one system. THIS PAGE shows you just some examples. But before you invest, or as you try to decide about keeping the pool, I would suggest taking a few minutes to visit the TFP Pool School page (home screen or link below in my sig). Try to get a good basic understanding of what is required on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis. Once a pool is cleaned and balanced, it's usually nothing more than adding some liquid chlorine each day. Sweeping & vacuuming once a week or so. The absolute foundation of all pool ownership is having the right test kit. Most over the counter products don't have what you need, and pool store testing is usually inconsistent. Please see the TF-100 link below as well for more details. It's the best value out there.

But before you go too far it's best to know what you're up against. Read some of the pages you see linked below. It absolutely can be done! If you're ready and willing, let us know. We enjoy helping thousands of people like you clear their water to have a great summer at home. We'll be here if you have more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just found this site and have question about opening a small pool this year.

People who have upgraded to the larger Intex sand filters report the difference is night and day. Obviously the liner still holds water. I'd keep the pool and buy a sand filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just found this site and have question about opening a small pool this year.

Hoping this works but I can promise you... That is an easy salvage

In desperate need of advice (search for that and my name) .... The link went goofy

In desperate need of advice

Just had to say thank you (pics)

That was my swamp salvage!!

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by clambert1273 View Post
    Hoping this works but I can promise you... That is an easy salvage

In desperate need of advice

That was my swamp salvage!!
    YOU are MY hero! WOW! This is the first time I read your story! NICE job! WOW!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    YOU are MY hero! WOW! This is the first time I read your story! NICE job! WOW!

Kim
    Hahaha not hardly lol lots of work in that but kind of glad we are back in Cali with IG now lol it died that year in a box cutter accident
    Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

7. Back To Top    #7

Tx everyone! I think I will get a sand filter and start there. I did notice it's not as level as it use to be so I may have
    to drain and start again but we will see!!!! Tx!
    Tanya