Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintenance systems

1. Back To Top    #1

Berclair, TX

Maintenance systems

I am totally confused trying to purchase a maintenance system for high temperatures in South Texas. I was told a Salt Water system wouldn't be efficient in higher than 90 degree weather by a 'pool dealer'. He told me about the Baquacil 3 step program. Then i went on utube and saw the BioGuard SoftSwim. Doughboy has a ozone system and a mineral system, but I've read bad things about both. I just need to get advise on what is maintenance "easy" and will work with high Texas temps. Any advise helps!
    In the process of buying an above ground pool, probably 28-30' round, resin wall and 52 or 54" deep, with sand filter and 1 1/2 HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities/MN

Re: Maintenance systems

Hello Kaylo ....welcome to TFP!

You are definitely in the right place to figure out how to maintain your soon-to-be new pool. I can't comment on the Salt Water Generator with respects to your area, but I do know that many members on here have them and would be happy to share their advice.

As for the proper maintenance of your pool, the best thing you can do is to take control of it right away and test your own levels to get a better understanding of it. It is simple to me, if I can do it, anyone can. You can find the test kits here -->

I too am a new pool owner as of this past July and had no prior experience with them...boy was I intimidated. I have found that using the BBB method (Bleach, Borax & Baking soda), as taught here on TFP, has been the easiest way to maintain my pool.

I'm sure others will chime in and help guide you along your journey...until then, feel free to ask questions and maybe get a better understanding of the methods we encourage here by starting with Pool School, found here --->

Again, welcome!!!
    Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

3. Back To Top    #3

South Florida

Forget all the fancy marketed "systems". They will just cost you extra, and put stuff in your water that you do not want. I recommend you:

1. Buy a good test kit. The TFT or Taylor K2006 are the only options you want to consider

2. Read pool school and the forums to learn

3. Stick to basic chlorine or salt water generator (SWG) as your primary means of sanitation.

There are a lot more details, but start by reading around here and learning the basics. Don't be tempted by any other systems you are reading about, they are not needed.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

There are thousands of SWG (saltwater) pools in Texas. Run as fast as you can from that less than honest dealer. No need to go into how troublesome baquacil is, just be assured he is not telling the truth about SWG's and he knows better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

That is absolutely false. My Pentair saltwater chlorine generator works fine in 100+ temps.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I've found in San Antonio run times are crucial. Try and divide your run times up. If you run the pool 12 hours daily, don't run it 12 hours straight. Break it up into 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off. This way you don't have a 12 hour down time. Efficient filtration is just as important as correct use of sanitizers. If your water is balanced and your flowing enough water through a good filter there's no reason chlorine shouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk