Green Monster in CA!

ok so here are the readings and my method

20K gallon IG with pool cover

CL 0
    PH - 7.3
    CALC - 290
    ALK - 70
    CYA - 20

I usually start the year by doing 1.5 gallons of muriatic and after 3 hrs start hammering with 4 gallons of liquid bleach ....my problem is the bleach usually gets eaten immediately because CYA is low ....usually I have 0 CYA at beginning of year so is it ok to add bleach with 20 CYA or wait .....thanks!
    20k Gallon IG Plaster/Pebble Sheen Pool/ Cartridge Filter / Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Monster in CA!

Since your water is green, and you need to SLAM (link below), you can add stabilizer now for a target of 30 and adjust/increase your FC to a SLAM/Shock level of 12 as listed on the Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig link below. Your pH is fine for now, so I would not add any acid at this time. Everything else looks good. You also have the option of leaving CYA at 20 and using a SLAM/Shock FC level of 10 (little less bleach), but if you get a lot of sun, a CYA of 30 may be better for now. Either way, no waiting. SLAM-away!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

how can I keep the CYA climbing a bit as I SLAM? Are pucks going to do it or not enough and buy a 4llb stabilizer Thanks so much!

4. Back To Top    #4

If I were you, I'd just pick-up a small bottle of stabilizer and raise it quicker. While pucks do work, they are slow-dissolving and could take a while. But you can use them later when you are ready (after the SLAM) to raise your CYA higher for the summer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

got it thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Never a good idea to use pucks during a SLAM. The SLAM does best on a quick, massive dose of chlorine (as in liquid chlorine) and is not intended to be used in conjunction with slow release pucks.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School