Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run a suction cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

How long to run a suction cleaner?

I just got a Hayward Phoenix 4x suction cleaner, but I have no idea how long to run it for. I have a dedicated side port for it, so do I just leave it in the pool the entire time and take it out when swimming? Or is it a more of a use when needed kind of thing and then store it in the garage?

22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Port Orange, FL

Re: How long to run a suction cleaner?

I think it would depend on how dirty the pool gets. While our pool isn't screened we don't get a lot of stuff blowing into it. I just run my vac on the weekends and pull it out during the week.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Most people leave there cleaners in 24/7and only remove them when swimming (some times not even then ) and run them daily, every pool being exposed to different amounts of debris run times very wildly, I for instance only run mine 30 min a day but I have a pressure side cleaner and am on the low end of the spectrum. Suction cleaners run a bit slower so I would suggest starting at a couple of hours a day and adjust up or down from there based on how the pool looks my neighbor has a suction he runs 4 hours a day.

there you go already a different answer
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Polaris 280 and run it three hours a day and generally leave it in the pool even when swimming
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Try and run it only as needed, this will limit wear on the unit and prolong its life. Don't store cleaner in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk