Run pool and spa on one pump?

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
While researching variable speed pump options, I'm reading a lot about sizing the pump with spa and pool in mind. My pool, built about a decade ago has a separate pump for the spa outlets. It kicks in when I turn the spa on but otherwise sits idle.

Now that VSPs are common, is it standard pool design to have both the spa and pool on the single pump and to have the pump switch to high rpms for spa mode? Is this the reason to go with more powerful 3hp pumps?

My spa and pool share the same filter pump and heater. There are three way valves where the two lines T together. There's also a separate spa pump that just recirculates the spa water, but it doesn't heat or filter it. It has its own drain and returns. never use it -- too much aeration cools the water off really fast.

My filter pump recirculates the water through the spa and pool. It's just when I turn on the spa "mode" that the dedicated spa pump turns on giving me a more powerful jet in the spa. It does go through the heater.

I was just wondering if that was the normal setup now that variable speed pumps are commonly available. I've never had occasion to work with any pool other than my own.

My spa and pool share the same filter pump and heater. There are three way valves where the two lines T together. There's also a separate spa pump that just recirculates the spa water, but it doesn't heat or filter it. It has its own drain and returns. never use it -- too much aeration cools the water off really fast.

My pool is exactly like this minus the extra spa pump that nobody ever really uses but has to maintain. I have one variable speed pump that handles everything.

Your looking for a smaller vsp for your application. I recommend pentair superflo vsp, which can produce up to 1.5 hp. I would run your pool on a very low speed for a long period of time. Lower the speed and longer the run time equals savings on electricity. Then kick it up to high for spa mode. With 1.5" plumbing anything bigger would be a waste.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Your looking for a smaller vsp for your application. I recommend pentair superflo vsp, which can produce up to 1.5 hp. I would run your pool on a very low speed for a long period of time. Lower the speed and longer the run time equals savings on electricity. Then kick it up to high for spa mode. With 1.5" plumbing anything bigger would be a waste.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I've sized down to a AO Smith/Century ECM16CU variable speed motor. I will just replace the motor since the pump is only 4 years old and in good shape. Also, that means I don't have to mess with plumbing. I plan to document my job and post back my results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.