First time pool owner with 6k gal AG pool with SWG

Apr 18, 2016
iowa
Hello All !

Just brought home my first pool. Starting on the low end of the $$ spectrum, Hoping to have some fun with the family this summer.

Decided to go with a SWG. Little bit nervous about getting the water all " balanced out " right the first time! Research Research Research right now!

Fingers Crossed it all pans out, All advice welcomed

Thanks in advance! :D

:wave: hi jaspers! congrats on the pool! It will certainly all pan out if you drink a little TFP koolaid.

Sounds as if you have already started with my first bit of advice and that's the research. Read through Pool School and the ABCs of Water Chemistry a few times until it sinks in.

the second bit of advice would be to get a decent test kit. There's a link in my signature to TFtestkits or you can do the Taylor 2006.

Welcome! it's gonna be a great summer!

Welcome Jaspers. That's right, take a few moments to read the ABCs on the Pool School page, and always reference the links you see bellow in my sig for recommended levels, chemicals, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart. We can't over-emphasize the TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006) enough. Test strips and free store testing is almost worthless when it comes to accuracy you can count on. Those should be your first priority. Look around and ask any questions you have. Have a great day.

I have a similarly sized pool. Once I get everything to the desired levels, running my SWG 6 hours per day keeps my chlorine right where I want it.

I have a similarly sized pool. Once I get everything to the desired levels, running my SWG 6 hours per day keeps my chlorine right where I want it.

Jeff - that almost exactly the same setup I have. What model Krystal clear SWG do you have? Mine is recommending 3-4 hours of run time. Although they only want 3 ppm chlorine. In pool school it recommends 5-8 with cya at 70. What chlorine and CYA are you running ?

In years past, I've kept my CYA 30-40 ppm and my FC 5-6. A little high on the FC, but I like to run the pump whenever we're in the pool anyway, so might as well run the SWG at the same time. No other particular reason I didn't follow the recommendations, other than if it ain't broke...

This year, I've got a new pump and filter, so previous experience is out the window. I'm going to bump CYA on up to 70 and see what happens.

My SWG is the older model with the copper element, which I have unplugged.

temporary_zpsaaeee1e5.jpg

In years past, I've kept my CYA 30-40 ppm and my FC 5-6. A little high on the FC, but I like to run the pump whenever we're in the pool anyway, so might as well run the SWG at the same time. No other particular reason I didn't follow the recommendations, other than if it ain't broke...

This year, I've got a new pump and filter, so previous experience is out the window. I'm going to bump CYA on up to 70 and see what happens.

My SWG is the older model with the copper element, which I have unplugged.

temporary_zpsaaeee1e5.jpg
That is the pump I have now..... Are you unplugging the copper electrode on this one also ? What is the theory behind in plugging this ?

The copper is unnecessary. It acts as an algaecide, but if you keep your FC levels up, there won't be any algae to kill. And it turns your hair green.