Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light socket sealant

1. Back To Top    #1

Light socket sealant

The sealant around the power cord where it comes through the housing seems to have silicon and it is not sticking to the cord anymore. What sealant should be used here that is flexible? I plan to clean mine up while the water is below the light and reseal it, I haven't filled it for the summer yet. Thanks
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light socket sealant

You might want to read this thread: Light Cord Sealing. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link, so I may not actually need to seal it off with anything. Maybe I'll try removing some of it and see what they were trying to cover up. Thanks
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

4. Back To Top    #4

You're welcome. Look closely though while you have it all open. While we know sealing the inside is not recommended, some are forced to seal "around" that conduit entrance because the ground settled causing pressure on the conduit and it cracked where it connected to the niche. That's the cause of many pool leaks. Hopefully you never encounter that one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

The electrician used aquabond on my pool last year

Southern New Hampshire, 18x36 single roman end pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most all IG pool lights are installed in a wet niche and that niche (or hole in your pool wall) is meant to be flooded with pool water. The electrical conduit that comes into the back of the niche is likewise intended to be flooded. Do not seal up the wire that goes into that Conduit or you might never get it out when it's time to replace fixtures.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

What he said. In most cases they run a #8 green ground in addition to what the regular cord has, this green wire is attached to the light niche and aquabond is used around the connector to prevent from rusting,scaling so that there is always a good ground for many years

Southern New Hampshire, 18x36 single roman end pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

My conduit started leaking so I plugged it with butyl tape. It plugs the hole but can be easily removed unlike silicone.