Update: Ordered my complete test kit and now have proper readings.

Alright, now I'm just confused as all get out. I went to start my SLAM and add my initial chlorine to get to FC of 12. Before I did this, I decided I would go ahead and test again just for good measure. Just to recap--I just tested yesterday with a FC reading of 0.5.

I added CYA yesterday by sock. It dissolved really fast. This is what I added:
20160423_182602.jpg

I also added about 2 cups of bleach, 8.5% yesterday.

Just now my FC is reading 2.5 and my CC is 0. CYA showing a good 20. Retested this 3 times with 3 different grab samples.

Now I'm afraid to SLAM.

Please advise????

Dan

If your CYA is indeed 20, that's on the low end but it will work. So your new FC SLAM/Shock level would be "10". Use regular bleach to increase FC to 10 and SLAM away. I should add ... make sure pH is between 7.2-7.5 before increasing the FC to 10. Then follow the SLAM page (link below). Good luck Dan!

PS - If you find later that your CYA is slightly higher (closer to 30), then your SLAM FC level would be 12.

If your CYA is indeed 20, that's on the low end but it will work. So your new FC SLAM/Shock level would be "10". Use regular bleach to increase FC to 10 and SLAM away. I should add ... make sure pH is between 7.2-7.5 before increasing the FC to 10. Then follow the SLAM page (link below). Good luck Dan!

PS - If you find later that your CYA is slightly higher (closer to 30), then your SLAM FC level would be 12.

Thanks so much for your patience with me!

I should still be SLAMing even though I have a CC of 0? (Just reading the SLAM page).

I swear I'm not learning-challenged. I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks SOOO much!

Dan

Dr Dan Lets talk about this------you say your water is crystal clear......can you read heads/tails on a quarter without the pump on?

With a CC of 0 I think you need to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) Here is the link:

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

IF you have a loss of 1 or less of FC in this test you should be good to go with your pool!

Make sure to put your chlorine in after the sun is off of the pool (dark time is even better). Make sure the pump is on and running for at least 30 mins before you do your finial test for the night.

Make sure you pull your water before the sun hits the pool. The pump needs to have been on for at least 30 mins before you take the water (I leave the pump running overnight so I don't have to get up early LOL)

Let us know your night and morning test results. Shoot a pic of your water looking down at your steps so we can see how clear it is.

Kim :cat:

Dr Dan Lets talk about this------you say your water is crystal clear......can you read heads/tails on a quarter without the pump on?

With a CC of 0 I think you need to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) Here is the link:

IF you have a loss of 1 or less of FC in this test you should be good to go with your pool!

Make sure to put your chlorine in after the sun is off of the pool (dark time is even better). Make sure the pump is on and running for at least 30 mins before you do your finial test for the night.

Make sure you pull your water before the sun hits the pool. The pump needs to have been on for at least 30 mins before you take the water (I leave the pump running overnight so I don't have to get up early LOL)

Let us know your night and morning test results. Shoot a pic of your water looking down at your steps so we can see how clear it is.

OK, I will do. Yes, I think it's safe to say I can read heads/tails on a quarter without the pump on. It's that clear.

I'm going to do the OCLT and also take the picture. I'll report in tomorrow.

Thanks!

Daniel

Alright, I did the OCLT and I didn't lose chlorine. Still reading a 2 FC with a 0 CC.

Here are the pictures:
20160424_084630.jpg 20160424_084638.jpg

So, I'm thinking that I just have a bit of a low chlorine level and can use the calculator to raise it to a target of 4 or so. Also, it appears that my CYA is still a tad bit low, so a little more stabilizer in the sock to get it up to around 30-40. Then I'm good without SLAMing?

I swear once I get this first balancing done I won't be flooding the forum so much. :)

Dan

So let's see Dan ..... OCLT passed (check); Less than .5 CC (check); and clear water (double-check). Looks like you did it!

- - - Updated - - -

Now just do some minor adjusting to maintain your recommended levels and you'll be fine. Have a great day.

So let's see Dan ..... OCLT passed (check); Less than .5 CC (check); and clear water (double-check). Looks like you did it!

- - - Updated - - -

Now just do some minor adjusting to maintain your recommended levels and you'll be fine. Have a great day.

Yay! :)

Not going to lie.. I ALMOST didn't go through with ordering the test kit and using TFP methods. I'm so, so glad that I went ahead and gave it a go.

Thanks SO much. OK, I'm done bothering you all for now. :):):)

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.