I want a new pump, I want one that does what it should...

Apr 4, 2016
Grimsby Ontario
I would really like to replace the pool pump, but if I need to repair a line that will need to come first ----

IMG 56941 - YouTube - video of the pump working with it set to filtering

IMG 56951 - YouTube - video of the pump set to recirculating

first of the season last year it was working fine- then part way thru the nieghbor said it has been the loudest he has ever heard it... and it kept losing prime as well - I was hoping to get thru last summer and pick up a pump this season....

- - - Updated - - -

the url attachement thing was not working for me

You have a serious air leak in your system. If you fix that, it could help with the noise.

Have you tried lubing the pump lid gasket?

Have you made sure that the skimmer is not sucking in air?

Have you checked all connections to the pump to make sure they are tight and not leaking air?

Once you fix the air leak and if the motor is still too loud, another option would be to just replace the pump motor. Failed bearings is usually what makes a motor loud.

I was going to cut out the pump and reconnect and give it the 8 of straight pump that it needs and put in a union fitting.... but in the end I need to build a new equipment pad. So I am going to cut everything out and build a pad this weekend.

I am also going to pick up a new pump, i got a used Chlorine Generator from a guy a work, so most of what I got needs to change....

From my industrial experience (pumps ranging from 1 to 1000 HP), if you are cavitating your pump (drawing air) you're going to have serious issues - I have to second mas985, but not only that, boost the severity of what he is saying. Not only is air going to make pumping louder and make pressure unsteady, but over time, it will destroy the impeller in your pump (old or new).

I wouldn't touch the pump until you have the air issue (suction side leak) settled - you may rapidly destroy the impeller in a new pump, and you really don't want to do that. Once the air issue is settled, you will see much better pressure regulation.

ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.