Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I want a new pump, I want one that does what it should...

1. Back To Top    #1

I want a new pump, I want one that does what it should...

I would really like to replace the pool pump, but if I need to repair a line that will need to come first ----

IMG 56941 - YouTube - video of the pump working with it set to filtering

IMG 56951 - YouTube - video of the pump set to recirculating

first of the season last year it was working fine- then part way thru the nieghbor said it has been the loudest he has ever heard it... and it kept losing prime as well - I was hoping to get thru last summer and pick up a pump this season....

- - - Updated - - -

the url attachement thing was not working for me
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I want a new pump, I want one that does what it should...

One that won't make my pool look too bad...
    One that will circulate real good...

23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice tunes!

Are you interested in a variable speed pump? Here is a nice pump that should work nicely for your pool and save some money on electricity. Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I was having a hard time finding that model here in Canada- it was the older model that I could find. I think my plan of action is going to be to cut everything out, build a proper pad and hope that new pipes and pump will solve my air issue...
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

You have a serious air leak in your system. If you fix that, it could help with the noise.

Have you tried lubing the pump lid gasket?

Have you made sure that the skimmer is not sucking in air?

Have you checked all connections to the pump to make sure they are tight and not leaking air?

Once you fix the air leak and if the motor is still too loud, another option would be to just replace the pump motor. Failed bearings is usually what makes a motor loud.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going to cut out the pump and reconnect and give it the 8 of straight pump that it needs and put in a union fitting.... but in the end I need to build a new equipment pad. So I am going to cut everything out and build a pad this weekend.

I am also going to pick up a new pump, i got a used Chlorine Generator from a guy a work, so most of what I got needs to change....
    Tim

7. Back To Top    #7

From my industrial experience (pumps ranging from 1 to 1000 HP), if you are cavitating your pump (drawing air) you're going to have serious issues - I have to second mas985, but not only that, boost the severity of what he is saying. Not only is air going to make pumping louder and make pressure unsteady, but over time, it will destroy the impeller in your pump (old or new).

I wouldn't touch the pump until you have the air issue (suction side leak) settled - you may rapidly destroy the impeller in a new pump, and you really don't want to do that. Once the air issue is settled, you will see much better pressure regulation.

ed
    Approx. 22,000 gallon 15 x 30 tile lined indoor pool, Taylor K-2006, heat exchanger from main boiler, 3/4 hp Hayward Super Pump, SandMaster sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yea you have an air leak somewhere, you shouldn't see all the bubbles through the lid like that.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

9. Back To Top    #9

I have bought a new pump Hayward 5206 variable speed- have cut out everything from the suction to the return by the pool equipment pad- adding in a Saltwater generator- go big or go home...
    Tim

10. Back To Top    #10

Whoa! I've never seen one leaking that bad!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!