Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing cracked eyeball return

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing cracked eyeball return

Hi,

Pool was built around 2005.

I have an eyeball return on moulded step/seat in the deep end.

The return is pretty shallow (maybe 12 inches under surface) so I guess it has seen a lot of sun.

The eyeball part has popped off and the bezel is cracked. There is also a receiver part that is screwed into the pipe, but the receiver and its threads seem fine..

Should I replace the receiver or just the eyeball and the bezel? It seems like a bother to get the receiver out.

Also, there are several other similar returns that are lower in the pool and do not see as much sunlight. They appear to be in good shape. Should I do any preventative maintenance.replacement on these or just wait for them to fail in due course?

Many thanks,

ft.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing cracked eyeball return

I would just replace the failed eyeball and bezel. Here are a whole bunch, Wall, Return and Eyeball Fittings.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'd go for just the eyeball and bezel.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, many thanks. Will just do eyeball and bezel.

ft.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated