Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Larger Intex Strainer/Inlet Needed????????

1. Back To Top    #1

Larger Intex Strainer/Inlet Needed????????

I started off with a new Intex 15' x 48" circle pool last summer. It came with the smallest pump, 637R, which pumped around 1,000 gph (I think). I installed a much larger pump - Intex 633T, which pumps 2,500 gph.

I'm going to purchase an Intex skimmer which attaches to 1 of the 2 strainers where the water leaves the pool to be filtered.

My question is this: Should I also purchase the larger strainer and larger inlet covers to replace the smaller ones that came with the pool and smaller pump? The water is churning in the pool now, but I worry that the smaller ones will somehow harm the filter motor if they are restricting the flow in any way.

ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Larger Intex Strainer/Inlet Needed????????

I am not sure what size yours currently has, I used the same ones that came with the 18' Ultra Frame pool that I have. I have a 1HP Hayward pump ... With 2 inlets to your pump I don't think you will have a problem but if you could post the diameter that you currently have, I can check what my pool has to see if there is a difference.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 15' circle Intex pool. From what I understand, the larger pools come with larger openings and I'd have to cut my pool opening slightly to have the larger strainer/input fit. I find this very terrifying.
    ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I understand. Just take your time and use an Xacto knife and it'll be okay.

But if you're going to cut a hole anyway, I'd suggest going full bore and putting in a through the wall strainer like the Hayward Dyna-skim. It'll keep your pool much cleaner, and can't be knocked off by kids playing in the pool (my problem).

It's really quite simple to do, and of the hundreds of us that have done it, I've never heard of anyone ruining their pool.

P.S. - If you do decide to do this, don't do like I did and put it right over the existing outlet. In hindsight, I would like to be able to put in a valve and draw from either the surface or below the surface, but as you can see, I blocked the lower outlet.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

Perfect! Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

Jeffchap, how do you connect the outlet from the skimmer to the inlet on the pump? I have the 1.5" Intex hoses....Also, where did you find the "cap" for the outlet that is no longer used? Do you think these would work?? They look like the ones you mentioned in another post about your new mega filter!!
    Amazon.com: Intex Hose Conversion Adapters Kit: Patio, Lawn Garden
    22' x 52" Intex UltraFrame ABG, 10,500 gallons
    using TF-100 test kit
    Krystal Klear 633T Filter Type B pump - 2,500 GPH
    Intex wall-mount surface skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

No, those aren't what I used. Here's how I did it. My Hayward came with a graduated adapter that screws into the bottom of it. If you don't have one, it should be pretty easy to find online. I just fastened a 1.5" Intex hose to it with a hose clamp.

Then I moved the valve to the other end of the hose, right before the pump. Works just fine!

The cap closing off the old outlet was the cap from the backwash port on my sand filter. It doesn't really serve any purpose there other than to look pretty, so I used it for this instead.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

ah, I see now. I didn't realize that the skimmer came with an adapter that would work. I've searched the threads, but most of them are pretty old and the photos don't show anymore.

Great idea to still keep the valve, just on the other end. Genius!

That's why I love this group. I'm not a huge do-it-yourself'er, but ya'll make things so simple for me! I appreciate it!
    22' x 52" Intex UltraFrame ABG, 10,500 gallons
    using TF-100 test kit
    Krystal Klear 633T Filter Type B pump - 2,500 GPH
    Intex wall-mount surface skimmer