Is bottom drain needed?

Apr 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I am in the process of having my inground pool's liner replaced and the guy doing it asked if he can plug the drain in the bottom of the deep end. He said that they often leak and are tough to repair. I am hesitant to let him because I am assuming that if it wasn't needed it wouldn't have been installed in the first place. If the drain is plugged the only feed to the pump would be the skimmer. The pool is approximately 40,000 gallons. Do I need to keep the drain?

Many pools do not have them. They are not required.

They might add slightly improved circulation and can be helpful for removing debris, but there are ways to counter these without the floor drain.

Since you get freezing up there, I would be inclined to cap it off.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Well, that is going to limit the amount of water your pump can move, but it will not hurt the pump.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you might have a problem keeping that pump fed with water with only 1 skimmer. I have a 20X40 inground liner pool, it has no main drain but has two skimmers and two returns. The water drops about 1 inch in the skimmer basket from the pool with the pump running 1.5hp pump with DE filter and 1.5" lines. Anything more then 1 inch of water below the mid line of the skimmer trim and it will funnel the skimmer basket and get air. My pool had a 1 hp pump when I bought the house and I think that is probably better suited for the two skimmers if I had known that I would have probably not have got a 1.5 hp pump.

I think you might have a problem keeping that pump fed with water with only 1 skimmer. I have a 20X40 inground liner pool, it has no main drain but has two skimmers and two returns. The water drops about 1 inch in the skimmer basket from the pool with the pump running 1.5hp pump with DE filter and 1.5" lines. Anything more then 1 inch of water below the mid line of the skimmer trim and it will funnel the skimmer basket and get air. My pool had a 1 hp pump when I bought the house and I think that is probably better suited for the two skimmers if I had known that I would have probably not have got a 1.5 hp pump.

Based on my experience, I agree. I have a 1.5HP pump, and I have to split flow between the skimmer and main drain. If it is set to skimmer only, it is quite easy to suck air if the pool water level is slightly low.

I like having a main drain, it is easier to brush sand and dust to the main drain and let it suck it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.