Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is bottom drain needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is bottom drain needed?

I am in the process of having my inground pool's liner replaced and the guy doing it asked if he can plug the drain in the bottom of the deep end. He said that they often leak and are tough to repair. I am hesitant to let him because I am assuming that if it wasn't needed it wouldn't have been installed in the first place. If the drain is plugged the only feed to the pump would be the skimmer. The pool is approximately 40,000 gallons. Do I need to keep the drain?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is bottom drain needed?

Many pools do not have them. They are not required.

They might add slightly improved circulation and can be helpful for removing debris, but there are ways to counter these without the floor drain.

Since you get freezing up there, I would be inclined to cap it off.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In my experience, about all the drain is good for is minimizing temperature stratification. Even set to full drain, debris floats right past it when I brush.

If I had a vinyl liner, I'd be very wary of having someone cut through the bottom of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Richard, I don't have one on my 20x40 pool, and the only issue I have is water temperature stratification (cold water sinks to the deep end), I have been able to mostly fix this problem with the addition of a venturi assisted return like this Infusion Pool Products - Save Time, Energy and Money with our new, easy to install Venturi Return Fitting. at the the deep end to better mix the deep water.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there any chance that I will starve my pump by cutting it's inlet in half?

6. Back To Top    #6

No.

Although on a 40k pool, I would think you would have more than 1 skimmer. Use 2" pipe for the suction line(s) as a minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool has one skimmer with a 1 1/2 line.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, that is going to limit the amount of water your pump can move, but it will not hurt the pump.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    40K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Superflo pump with 1 1/2 HP AO Smith Variable Speed Motor , Hayward EC75 DE filter, , Dolphin Supreme M4 cleaning robot

10. Back To Top    #10

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, that was very convincing.
    40K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Superflo pump with 1 1/2 HP AO Smith Variable Speed Motor , Hayward EC75 DE filter, , Dolphin Supreme M4 cleaning robot

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you might have a problem keeping that pump fed with water with only 1 skimmer. I have a 20X40 inground liner pool, it has no main drain but has two skimmers and two returns. The water drops about 1 inch in the skimmer basket from the pool with the pump running 1.5hp pump with DE filter and 1.5" lines. Anything more then 1 inch of water below the mid line of the skimmer trim and it will funnel the skimmer basket and get air. My pool had a 1 hp pump when I bought the house and I think that is probably better suited for the two skimmers if I had known that I would have probably not have got a 1.5 hp pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by PunKid View Post
    I think you might have a problem keeping that pump fed with water with only 1 skimmer. I have a 20X40 inground liner pool, it has no main drain but has two skimmers and two returns. The water drops about 1 inch in the skimmer basket from the pool with the pump running 1.5hp pump with DE filter and 1.5" lines. Anything more then 1 inch of water below the mid line of the skimmer trim and it will funnel the skimmer basket and get air. My pool had a 1 hp pump when I bought the house and I think that is probably better suited for the two skimmers if I had known that I would have probably not have got a 1.5 hp pump.
    Based on my experience, I agree. I have a 1.5HP pump, and I have to split flow between the skimmer and main drain. If it is set to skimmer only, it is quite easy to suck air if the pool water level is slightly low.

I like having a main drain, it is easier to brush sand and dust to the main drain and let it suck it up.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I like having a main drain as well.

The temperature stratification and when I brush I can see stuff being pulled into it.

I pull from my main drain whenever I brush and I brush a lot.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.