Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    4

    Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    I have a Pentair MasterTemp 250 heater that last year we had issues with the touchpad membrane and circuit board, replacing both fixed all problems and it worked great for the rest of the season.

    Fast forward to this year... the guys opening the pool (this past Thursday) turned on the heater, let it run for ~1 min and shut it off. We've had rain for a few days, so today is the first day since then that we've gone to turn it on, except it won't turn on. I turned off power to it for about 20 seconds then turned it back on. The display showed "128" and "r13" which is the programming/start-up sequence if I understand correctly, but after that the display just goes blank and doesn't respond to any of the buttons. Also, none of the lights (service heater, etc) are lit up.

    What should my next trouble shooting step be? Are there any test procedures I can perform to determine what the other problems are? I'm looking into seeing if I can get the membrane and circuit board covered under warranty just in case that is the issue.

    Thanks for any help and advice!

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry
    Pool Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,637

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    I would take it apart and look for water intrusion (not covered under warranty). If you didn't clean the surface well before you replaced the touchpad, it might not adhere properly. Also, is your touchpad cover still intact and keeping it covered? Not typical for it to fail in less than one season unless it is exposed to sun and rain. If you need to replace touch pad again, make sure to clean well, that your cover is working, and use it!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    4

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    Took it apart today and found that the ribbon cable that goes from the touchpad to the circuit board had a tear and looked corroded (the circuit board itself didn't have any signs of water damage or deposits). Went ahead and ordered a new touchpad. Is there anything I can put on the ribbon cable to help protect it? Maybe just some electrical tape?

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,437

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    The part sits outside so the heat and what not will always deteriorate it. Things like this sometimes happen. Maybe it was a bad manufacturer in the first place. They do get brittle though thru time.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    29

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyZ4 View Post
    I have a Pentair MasterTemp 250 heater that last year we had issues with the touchpad membrane and circuit board, replacing both fixed all problems and it worked great for the rest of the season.

    Fast forward to this year... the guys opening the pool (this past Thursday) turned on the heater, let it run for ~1 min and shut it off. We've had rain for a few days, so today is the first day since then that we've gone to turn it on, except it won't turn on. I turned off power to it for about 20 seconds then turned it back on. The display showed "128" and "r13" which is the programming/start-up sequence if I understand correctly, but after that the display just goes blank and doesn't respond to any of the buttons. Also, none of the lights (service heater, etc) are lit up.

    What should my next trouble shooting step be? Are there any test procedures I can perform to determine what the other problems are? I'm looking into seeing if I can get the membrane and circuit board covered under warranty just in case that is the issue.

    Thanks for any help and advice!
    I am having this same problem (almost) with my Mastertemp 250. The error code 128 r13 comes on at first, but then goes away. The Spa LED comes on and then the Service Heater LED lights for a few seconds, and then the "heating" yellow light blinks for a while and then turns solid. The fire starts, but it's not very hot and I can almost touch the exhaust pipe.

    So it's "working," but very weak. Any ideas?
    Doug Sleeter - Pleasanton, CA
    Remodeled in Dec 2015: 25,000 gallon Pebblec pool, 18" raised spa with 6 jets and 32" wide spill wall into the pool.
    Equipment: Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Easytouch 8, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater, Solar heating

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,437

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    128 r13 is not an error code. It's the boot up sequence that these units display.

    If it's heating, it's working. Until it stops working all together, not much to go by as to what is wrong.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry
    Pool Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,637

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    If you are concerned about the outlet temp of the exhaust, you can check this by turning on the heater and let it run for 5 to 10 min to let it come to operating temp. Then hold down the button of the current or active thermostat (either pool or spa) for about 10 seconds. The display will change to the current exhaust stack temp. The display will revert after about 30 seconds (with no other button push).

    0-250 Very low
    250-290 Low
    291-350 Acceptable (all models)
    351-500 High (may indicate low flow through the exchanger)
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    29

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    If you are concerned about the outlet temp of the exhaust, you can check this by turning on the heater and let it run for 5 to 10 min to let it come to operating temp. Then hold down the button of the current or active thermostat (either pool or spa) for about 10 seconds. The display will change to the current exhaust stack temp. The display will revert after about 30 seconds (with no other button push).

    0-250 Very low
    250-290 Low
    291-350 Acceptable (all models)
    351-500 High (may indicate low flow through the exchanger)
    Hi Pool Clown,

    Thanks for this trick on how to measure the exhaust temperature! I got it working by recycling the power on the filter/heater (waiting 2 minutes) before restarting. Will check the exhaust temp if this happens again.

    Do you think this may indicate that I need to clean the coils or some other preventive service? I just replaced the blower about a year ago and the heater is only about 5 years old. Seems too soon to have troubles like this.
    Doug Sleeter - Pleasanton, CA
    Remodeled in Dec 2015: 25,000 gallon Pebblec pool, 18" raised spa with 6 jets and 32" wide spill wall into the pool.
    Equipment: Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Easytouch 8, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater, Solar heating

  9. Back To Top    #9

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,437

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    To clean the heat exchanger on these models is a task because you will have to take the top off the canister that they reside in. In doing so you could create other issues and then you would have something else to deal with. I have seen someone clean the heat exchanger without removing the top but again, you could create other issues in doing so.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry
    Pool Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,637

    Re: Pentair MasterTemp 250 - No Response from Touchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by DougS View Post
    Hi Pool Clown,

    Do you think this may indicate that I need to clean the coils or some other preventive service?
    Well, i think we need to see what the temp is first.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •